please help identify my pepper plants .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
I planted these two pepper plants , when they grow they look like miniature jalapeno peppers but light green . I have dusted my tomato plants and peppers with seven dust once a week . my question * why aren't my peppers producing yet , they just take forever ?
* the seven dust is it decent stuff or should i buy something else for pests etc.
* what can i buy nutrient / bloom for my tomato plants and pepper plants ?
I appreciate your input on my situation and thanks again . 7b zone in northeast arkansas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted these two pepper plants , when they grow they look like miniature jalapeno peppers but light green . I have dusted my tomato plants and peppers with seven dust once a week . my question * why aren't my peppers producing yet , they just take forever ?
* the seven dust is it decent stuff or should i buy something else for pests etc.
* what can i buy nutrient / bloom for my tomato plants and pepper plants ?
I appreciate your input on my situation and thanks again . 7b zone in northeast arkansas.
Most pepper plants look about the same and when the fruits are small they are all green. Some peppers like cayenne are long and thin. If they look like miniature japs they could be japs or they could be one of dozens of others. You will just have to wait awhile and see.

One should only use pesticides when there are pests attacking not as a preventative. There are other things to use as a preventative such as garlic spray. You end up killing the beneficial insects. Sevin dust is an old time pesticide and there are other better and safer pesticides available such as any spinosad based insecticide. A serious gardener will have 3 products for any pest that may attack. Neem oil, any product with spinosad as its active ingredient and any product that has Bt (Bacillus thuringensis) as its active ingredient. Any real nursery will have everything.

As far as nutrients are concerned any good balanced organic fertilizer is fine. I use Medina 3-2-3 but there are many others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
0623181212a.jpg
0623181212_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
thank you chuck , i appriecte the help ...the peppers are jalapeno just miniature and not high on the scoville scale . i want to plant carolina reapers and ghost peppers by july 3rd ...will that be ok , this late in the season ...i buy them about 3 -4 inches tall from nursery .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thank you chuck , i appriecte the help ...the peppers are jalapeno just miniature and not high on the scoville scale . i want to plant carolina reapers and ghost peppers by july 3rd ...will that be ok , this late in the season ...i buy them about 3 -4 inches tall from nursery .
You might get a few reapers or ghost peppers but they take a long time. I would try to save at least one of each over the winter indoors.

Miniature jalapeno's??????????? or just small at this time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
well my parents planted these peppers last year on the farm and they've told me both plants are of jalapeno origin , they have the kick of a medium jalapeno but harvest half the size of a normal jalapeno...and will do chuck , i will start my reapers , ghosts and seranos , habanero outside and continue indoors...i think i will be o.k. it stays in the 80's until september and i have a 60-85 day harvest i believe...picking up a bottle of neem tomorrow and doing away with the methods of the oldschool ways of seven dust & i don't have no pest or bug problem it doesn't hurt to have aboved mentioned products you told me to have on hand for a newbie gardner thanks again......
faf8390e-3b98-4dbc-9a69-a455ef2f017d_1.350f0f3971d5f42b7ec17d3047a19b51.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
well my parents planted these peppers last year on the farm and they've told me both plants are of jalapeno origin , they have the kick of a medium jalapeno but harvest half the size of a normal jalapeno...and will do chuck , i will start my reapers , ghosts and seranos , habanero outside and continue indoors...i think i will be o.k. it stays in the 80's until september and i have a 60-85 day harvest i believe...picking up a bottle of neem tomorrow and doing away with the methods of the oldschool ways of seven dust & i don't have no pest or bug problem it doesn't hurt to have aboved mentioned products you told me to have on hand for a newbie gardner thanks again......View attachment 39261
Ready to use spray is OK but buying the concentrate is better. If you are attacked by whatever you will go through the RTU quickly and it gets a tad expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
my peppers are about 2 ft tall ...guess i will prune them back for a more bushier plant this morning , been on utube watching a few knuckleheads , actually know what they are doing to make a short , stout & bushy pepper plant to produce a ton more peppers....well wish me luck first topping ever.....cut just below the 1st Y to have a wider all around plant ...i can do the same to my tomatoes , I'm guessing ...the tomatoes are growing and stretching alot outdoors...i can cut my maters back also ...right ?????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't know topping peppers was a thing. I might have look into that. Mine are pretty talk and thin.

I have never seen a mini jalapeno. Perhaps leave one on the plant until it begins to turn red and see how big it gets. I realize it's popular to pick them green, but jalapenos will ripen to red if left alone. In my opinion they are more flavorful if allowed to ripen, although maybe slightly less hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
I didn't know topping peppers was a thing. I might have look into that. Mine are pretty talk and thin.

I have never seen a mini jalapeno. Perhaps leave one on the plant until it begins to turn red and see how big it gets. I realize it's popular to pick them green, but jalapenos will ripen to red if left alone. In my opinion they are more flavorful if allowed to ripen, although maybe slightly less hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B 5F-10F
Country
United States
@vette-kid
yeah man mine were tall and thin also until i watched numerous utube videos on how to top your pepper plants ...watch these links below dude.....pretty interesting to say the least ....i have jalapenos lol my parents grew them last year on their farm , they just didn't let them mature to size....i just picked up a scorpion pepper plant , chinese pepper plant second hottest in the world ...with the carolina reaper in first place ...i have them planted also ...good day gardners :cool: vette-kid watch these links on topping peppers bro ...blew my mind man...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Jason! Interestingly, a few starter plants appear to have been topped already. Definitely something I'll be looking for next season.

I don't do super hots. Just not enjoyable for be. I do like some hot jalapeno, some mild and Giants. Plus bell pepper.

Ask a Question