Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@Logan Get well soon!
I tried pollinating my tomato with several ways in the last few days. Is there any indicator that tells me it went fine?

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you mean, @Upsy Daisy . I have a friend whom I think is a domestic goddess. When I praised her in front of her OH, he was a bit hurt .. That's the trouble with domestic goddesses - they want everything to be perfect or as they want so..

Even I find it taxing seeing myself opening a sealable bag. He couldn't use the scissors properly and talked about chucking them and then he blamed the plastic being too hard.. Sometimes, I just want to give it a blitz, save all the screaming thoughts inside my head...

I am sure Logan would be a patient patient! LOL! :D;)
I don't know, my bottom is starting to hurt, sitting down all the time.:(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Klona Have you got no pollinators? Use a brush to get the pollen and smear the stigma. If you have done so correctly, I don't see why not.. You could collect pollen in a tray if there is a lot.. Try to do it with the stigma of a flower of another plant .. Have you got any bees?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I like your latest fashion accessory.. Where can I get one?? :LOL::D:ROFLMAO:;)

I would go for a maroon one..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have done nothing today, apart from overcooking my creme brulee.. It's so easy to make ..

Yesterday's jacket potatoes
I'm worried that they are all failures as I might have put in too much water..
SAM_0208.JPG

Miss Bateman No 3
SAM_0207.JPG

I also have 2 multiblue will take pics later

Love the healthy and sparkling Red robin

SAM_0206.JPG

Fascinated by this very tiny clematis
SAM_0204.JPG
SAM_0203.JPG

So tiny and yet full of details and features.. Did someone feast on its petals??? :eek:

View attachment 19332
SAM_0200.JPG

View attachment 19338

Hurrah to the season of alliums... tomorrow, I will take a pic of my purple sensation.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan I so feel for you.. Get a thick pad to sit on and remember it is only the first day of the 4 to 6 weeks.. Frequently changing positions might help...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@alp I shook the flower with my fingers to release the pollen then poked around it with cotton buds so I could smear it. There was some yellow on the cotton, but it was faint. I assumed it was pollen so I continued smearing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Klona with a small paint brush, the chance of success is greater.. as the hair reaches bits that a cotton bud can't reach... That's what I think any way... I used to use a plastic cap of a pen, then I switched onto a tiny paint brush as it traps pollen better and paints better on the stigma .. Also do it on a warm day when the flowers are open and pollen rich, (I reckon every day is a sunny day your way, but not here in mine). People tend to choose an newly formed flower for receiving the pollen.. to make sure that it has not been pollinated by other insects .. These are strictly for trying for new variants .. A lot of fun.. Are you trying for new seeds for new tomatoes??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@alp This tomato was originally a weed, but I decided to move it and grow it as a separate plant. I asked around here on the forums and it turns out it's a tomato. :)
I'm going to take a pic in a few minutes, but it's dark outside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Klona That sounds interesting.. Have you got another tomatoes plant? I don't know if this tomato self-fertilised.. Normally, you use the pollen of one plant to fertilise the stigma of another plant .. I might be wrong..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Like your choice of colour Logan(y).

Seriously I hope you are OK, don't mean to make light of your situation- just trying to jolly you up a bit. Take care and rest up and let the family fuss you:D.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy always takes the words out of my mouth but says them with so much sincerity .. I begin to feel I'm wicked! Hehe!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@alp I've read that a tomato flower can pollinate itself because it has both parts.

Here is my mess of a tomato plant:
7aIsUOR.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question