Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the first picture? It is both! Wow you are good @alp it is ginger and then in the middle of all that is one of the cannas I planted back in May. :)
You have too many flowers that I want! So much color and variety, I am just in awe and super jealous. I think next year I will work on an area that I can add some variety of flowers to it. Maybe behind the pond where my cypress is, turn that into a "variety flower bed"...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@tbendl I used to see ginger a lot when I was young. I love the smell and I have tried to grow one. It took half a year and still no root, but there is a bit of extra on the tip! Hehe!

Do try to grow petunia singles from which you can collect seeds and doubles which are good looking. I think so any way. I will increase my stock of irises and helleborus. Just bought some quite expensive seeds and have just sown them. Keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully, I can see and have a house with windows at least on three sides. I have always lived next to a busy road here. No more. I hope to have a bit of land to have chickens and pigeons. I'm not sentimental. I will eat the lot.. Hope I haven't put off some vegans.. I understand why they like to be vegans. It is a healthy life style. But I just love the flavours of meats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fingers crossed they all grow. I love chicken so no judgement here, I'm just a big baby and know if I had them I wouldn't be able to eat them.
I have been persuaded to just add flowers to the sunroom so I will try petunia and fuschia and maybe orchids. I've got a short list going and will see what I can do. It will be a trial and error period I'm sure.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to have a swathe of echinaceas, heleniums, agapanthus and dahlias .. No need to be persuaded.. Would love to have some bigger fuchsias too. Anything that is perennial and not fussy or buggy will be welcome ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Feeling Chuffed, you can't wipe the smile off my face......Carolina Reaper seed finally germinated 4:4...was the score

Reaper seedlings.jpg

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Finally, the heavens have opened. Downpours preceded by some angry rumbling... I'm chuffed as there will be water for my plants. about 3 butts ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Finally, the heavens have opened. Downpours preceded by some angry rumbling... I'm chuffed as there will be water for my plants. about 3 butts ...
So glad your receiving your quota of the vital commodity...I could sell you some hahahaha
good to see that a lot of folks on here are collecting rainwater

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC if only you knew how desperate I was. I emptied every single container and placed them out in the lawn to catch the rain. The leaves of most of my plants are yellow and the strawberries and sunflowers leaves all went wilting and limpy.

Mind you, I don't think I can live your way. It's so depressing not to see the sun .. Perhaps the air might be fresher as it is constantly washed by the rain, I wonder?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC if only you knew how desperate I was. I emptied every single container and placed them out in the lawn to catch the rain. The leaves of most of my plants are yellow and the strawberries and sunflowers leaves all went wilting and limpy.

Mind you, I don't think I can live your way. It's so depressing not to see the sun .. Perhaps the air might be fresher as it is constantly washed by the rain, I wonder?!
Hahaha you make it sound like I live in the back of beyond lol...Its not all doom and gloom...but we could all use a little bit of prolonged sunshine every now and then....Here is a plant that makes for a lovely border...I bought it as a present for my aunt whilst I stayed with her in Australia its called Rhoeo spathacea..I would love to be able to grow it here but alas the weather is not conducent to its well being... but maybe you could... its a lovely low growing foliage plant.. it loves drought conditions....I'd love to have it

rhoeo.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice plant.. but I prefer plants with flowers..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Caroline Reaper is supposed to be very hot. I find it hilarious that a white girl beat everybody else in the hottest chilli eating competition in a programme hosted by Michael Mosley and James Wong. James Wong's expression was hilarious ... You can see the tears from his eyes..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely pics everyone :) despite the heat the blooms are looking vibrant.

Still not a drop of rain down here , looks like we might get some next Tuesday!!
Hardly any water left in the butts and bins:(

Ask a Question