Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hot lips is not really invasive but the microphylla group....of which that is one......can be a little adventurous. It means you can take rooted cuttings or make layered cuttings very easily.
Paradoxically, invasive plants like jap anemones, often struggle in containers. You may need to divide and repot them ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, @Verdun I have taken about 6 cuttings of the hotlips. Royal Rumble proves to be a bit difficult to propagate. I am worried that I might kill the J anemone by keeping them in pot. And yet I am also worried that they would be everywhere if I planted them on the border.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Royal Rumble, like all salvias, should be easy alp. Try using perlite or sand with your compost as well as hormone rooting powder. ;)
No, dont plant jap anemones into your garden. Can you divide and repot using 2 or 3 pots. I would also use a john innes compost....number 3.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, again, our resident adviser, @Verdun ;). You know it is neigh impossible to get JI in B&Q or Homebase and what these two sell are mixed and are usually quite horrible. On Sunday, a man asked for JI and a staff member said they didn't do it. So it's a matter of going to proper gardening centre which is a bit inconvenient for me. I have separate them. I will follow your instructions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, john innes IS available in B & Q, etc. I have purchased it there myself . The "mixed" stuff is john innes and mpc...a different product :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I must have a look. @MaryMary Love your photos of sunsets, very atmospheric.. I love the 3rd one most. You can post whatever you like. It's rather free range.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all :D.

Lots of lovely pics from you all.........and even one from @Verdun (y)(y),

@alp your pics are stunning no matter which camera you use :)(y)

My head 'swims' with all these plant/flower names you lot talk about.......how do you remember them? I am absolutely hopeless at remembering all names .......sadly even human ones:oops::oops:.

Here's a few more May pics
DSCF4297.JPG
DSCF4312.JPG
DSCF4313.JPG
DSCF4323.JPG
DSCF4330.JPG
DSCF4347.JPG
DSCF4348.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy How big is your garden? Seems to have everything in it. Those foxgloves are lovely. My garden looks so haphazard and there are holes everywhere. Love the chairs and the brick work.

How are you feeling in your leg? Can you walk properly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. yes I'm fine thanks @alp. Feels a bit tight but apart from that its OK , feels a tad scary knowing that the 'lump' is in fact a blood clot:eek:.Been told that because it's in the lower leg area there is less risk of it moving into a main artery...haven't been told to stop walking etc. So all is good....for now;)

Not sure the size of the garden , hubs is in bed so will ask him tomorrow, I would say it's a fair size, but not huge. It was a lot bigger when we first moved here as the house was a farm workers cottage but we have tripled the size of the house over the years. So now have less garden......but ample for us to maintain :)

Didn't have any foxgloves until I sowed a tray 2yrs ago, now they self seed . I sometimes dig up the new seedlings and plant them in a tray to plant out in a different part of the garden later.

The seat on the east patio is my fave place to sit and read,The pic was taken in the afternoon so is in shade but its lovely in the morning it gets the sun and as its by the kitchen door it makes an ideal place to enjoy summer breakfasts (y).

Sleep well, catch you tomorrow:D

Ask a Question