Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy 50p and I paid £1 last week!

Some photos

Clematis Diana is a let down. The flower is tiny and insignificant. There should be a big and bold and confident for Diana.
SAM_0245.JPG

My Wild Swan anemone Lovely and calming
SAM_0247.JPG
SAM_0248.JPG

Sambusca Nigra. First time it flowered, bought it for 50p last year.
SAM_0240.JPG
SAM_0241.JPG
SAM_0242.JPG

My irises finish too quickly for me.

SAM_0239.JPG
SAM_0231.JPG

A lilac delphinium

SAM_0232.JPG
SAM_0233.JPG
SAM_0236.JPG

would love to see more of your flowers, @MaryMary .. off to make some food for tomorrow. Sleep tight, everyone.. @Logan, Thursday is just round the corner!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Upsy Daisy, I usually give a book about 50 pages to catch my interest. If I'm still thinking, "Maybe it's a slow starter..." by then, I quit and pick another! :D

Sambusca Nigra. First time it flowered, bought it for 50p last year.
Those are lovely! All those tiny flowers! :love: :love:

If the conversion site I found is correct, :cautious: they were 64¢ in terms I can understand. :ROFLMAO:

would love to see more of your flowers, @MaryMary ..

:oops: I usually post my flower pics in the "What's Looking Good" thread. :oops:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all and to @MaryMary

50 pages! You're a very forgiving character, too. :D;)

Next time, I will put down 64c/50p. A nice addition to my monetary knowledge.

Well, not all the butts are full. But shouldn't complain. Still have 2 empty butts. Such a lot of noise, but still 2 empty butts. How disappointing.

Very damp this morning. Went out to find the slugs and they were there and now no more. So relieved that my babies all have had a bit of a drink.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good morning! :)

I do not have a water catchment system, and ... I admit to being curious about your butts. (Bahahaha! :ROFLMAO: I'm sorry, it's terribly immature I know, but there is a giggling 10 year old in my head that can't believe I just told strangers I'm curious about their butts!! :ROFLMAO: ) ( Just thought I'd share that.:oops: )

Do you keep them under the downspouts to direct the water in? :confused: :unsure: All of my downspouts pour directly on the ground; we'd have to cut the metal pipe to put anything under it. :(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary We edge the roof top with open uPVC pipes which are very sturdy and are better and safer than metal ones. I connected two to my butts. Each of these two butts is connected to another butts via a connector at the back, so if there is too much water in one butt, it will overflow into another one. I have about 3 stand alone butts. (does sound very gross! :eek::eek::D, talking about anatomy!)

Here in Essex, we also have drought whilst Verdun in Cornwall usually have the rain travelling across the pond. The NE and Scotland always have rain, too.

What do you line your roofline with, metal pipes, @ MaryMary? That sounds so heavy!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp yes I sneaked in,was awake at 4.45am. Waiting for OH to get everything out the fridge, so i could do the breakfast. Heard the rain very early in the morning. OH didn't hear it. :)We have 3 water butts connected to the down pipes and 2 round the side of garage that's not connected, so we have to fill those ourselves. Can't fit the overflow pipe on because the way we have to have them.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
open uPVC pipes
Wait, the pipes are open - at the top? :confused: We have PVC pipes, but what is a uPVC pipe?

Gutters and downspouts are usually made of vinyl or aluminum. The house I rent has vinyl gutters and metal downspouts. I found some pictures. Not mine, but a lot like this. I'd have to cut the aluminum to get a butt under it.

upload_2017-5-29_3-0-16.jpeg
. . .
upload_2017-5-29_3-1-26.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning...( In order of appearance:D) ...@MaryMary, @Logan and @alp.

Hope everyone is well and raring to face another week:D

Love your gutters @MaryMary .....you won't get leaves blocking them up will you (y)

Be patient @Logan ...... almost there now :)

@alp , I'm a scardy cat:(......have plucked up the courage yet to go and check on my flower babies:barefoot:.

Hope your Monday isn't Mundane :D

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah.. Love that Hope your Monday isn't Mundane :D

Queuing in the post office is certainly mundane though.

I have despatched some sluts and snails, and picked some land cress for meals. Waste not, want not.

I would love to have those grill on my gutters, @ MaryMary. I reckon I must have a ball from my neighbour as one of the down pipes were blocked, totally.

You must have had a lot of rain, @Upsy Daisy .. What a relief.. Our obsession with weather is just incredible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No @alp, don't think we had as much as I expected, woke at 1am to thunder and rain , then woke at around 5 and it was dry......still is:(.

Off out to town now, catch you later......be good ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely hanging baskets and the colours are gorgeous. I made one and found the squirrel burying peanuts in the soil. Was so annoyed. So I put it down on the ground and that's the end of my basket making.

I bought quite a lot of single petunias as I really want to collect my own seeds, just like you, @johnny canoe Better than buying double and can't never get the seeds.

Happy selling, @johnny canoe and spread your pleasure and joy.

Out weeding for an hour and I'm now sweating as if I were in a sauna.

Glad to see tulips at this time of the year. Funny is that the alliums keep their biological clock same here as in Canada. Lovely planting, johnny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Fun to read about all your butts people! Mine is huge, hold 1600litres.lol Very busy days and evenings this past week and another starts this morning.
This basket is suppose to be all silver wave Petunias but the colours mutated again, I like these surprises. And my messy yard a few days ago, still working on it when not working in other peoples yards.
P1040446.JPG
P1040457.JPG
P1040452.JPG
P1040450.JPG
P1040448.JPG

Ask a Question