Organic Pest Repellents?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everybody!

I am looking for new and efficient organic ways to deal with pests in the garden. This year we've had a serious issue with different creepy crawlies, and they managed to eat about half of our vegetable produce, so I decided it's time to take action. I already tried some of the more popular remedies they sell in the store in my neighbourhood, but non of them seem to work. I don't really want to use harsh chemical products, because I want my garden to be organic and green. Here's a picture of what I have to deal with:
2jewakw.jpg

I also have some slugs and caterpillars, which like to eat by cabbages. We are practically surrounded.
So, I need advice on different pest control methods you have used and you're pleased with the results. I know that vinegar can be used for that, but I'm not sure which recipe to use exactly. I could also use advice on gardening companies which offer such organic pest control services or something. I looked online and so far I found only two, which sell nature friendly services - [links removed by admin] , but I don't know anyone who's used them, so I don't know which one to choose. So if there's anyone from Melbourne in here with some experience with these things, I would be grateful for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everybody!

I am looking for new and efficient organic ways to deal with pests in the garden. This year we've had a serious issue with different creepy crawlies, and they managed to eat about half of our vegetable produce, so I decided it's time to take action. I already tried some of the more popular remedies they sell in the store in my neighbourhood, but non of them seem to work. I don't really want to use harsh chemical products, because I want my garden to be organic and green. Here's a picture of what I have to deal with:
2jewakw.jpg

I also have some slugs and caterpillars, which like to eat by cabbages. We are practically surrounded.
So, I need advice on different pest control methods you have used and you're pleased with the results. I know that vinegar can be used for that, but I'm not sure which recipe to use exactly. I could also use advice on gardening companies which offer such organic pest control services or something. I looked online and so far I found only two, which sell nature friendly services - [links removed by admin] , but I don't know anyone who's used them, so I don't know which one to choose. So if there's anyone from Melbourne in here with some experience with these things, I would be grateful for the help!
Those bugs in your pic are aphids and easily controlled by spraying with soapy water or pepper tea.. If you want to use an organic commercial product try to find a pesticide that has the active ingredient spinosad. There are many brands out there, I just don't know what is in Australia. For caterpillars us a product that has the active ingredient Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) another great organic product. I am not sure of the best way to get rid of slugs and snails. Vinegar is NOT used as a pesticide. It is often used as a herbicide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dish soap in water will kill off many critters; I suppose you can get "organic" dish soap.
For aphids, introduce ladybugs to your garden. Here some garden centers sell bags of 1,000 live ladybugs and it's fun to release them. :) They eat aphids.
Have tried eggshells and rough (for sanding wood floors) sandpaper around plants to deter slugs. That didn't work at all. I've read positive reviews of copper tape surrounding plants to keep slugs and snails away but haven't tried it. Shallow bowls of beer certainly attracts slugs and they'll drown in it (presumably a happy death) but again I've tried this and it didn't seem to lessen the damage to the plants.

Ask a Question