Using tobacco powder as an organic pesticide

Reaction score
No I haven't and no I wouldn't ever consider using tobacco powder as an organic pesticide - as even though many people think that all organic fertilizers and pesticides are safe because they say the word " organic " - many are not and tobacco powder is one of those that isn't.

Although tobacco powder was in the past a popular organic pesticide many organic gardeners are now staying away from it - as it is known to

kill beneficial insects and be highly toxic to all mammals including human beings
cause a number of diseases on plants in the nicotine family - particularly tomatoes
and as there are many plants that are particularly sensitive to nicotine - like roses for instance - it is very difficult for the average gardener to know which plants they can safely use it on

Apart from which - as the main ingredient is tobacco and the end result of any tobacco based product is nicotine - which is known to have a high toxicity level and especially so in liquid form - needs to be handled with great care - especially as just a small amount absorbed through the skin can be toxic for humans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No I haven't and no I wouldn't ever consider using tobacco powder as an organic pesticide - as even though many people think that all organic fertilizers and pesticides are safe because they say the word " organic " - many are not and tobacco powder is one of those that isn't.

Although tobacco powder was in the past a popular organic pesticide many organic gardeners are now staying away from it - as it is known to

kill beneficial insects and be highly toxic to all mammals including human beings
cause a number of diseases on plants in the nicotine family - particularly tomatoes
and as there are many plants that are particularly sensitive to nicotine - like roses for instance - it is very difficult for the average gardener to know which plants they can safely use it on

Apart from which - as the main ingredient is tobacco and the end result of any tobacco based product is nicotine - which is known to have a high toxicity level and especially so in liquid form - needs to be handled with great care - especially as just a small amount absorbed through the skin can be toxic for humans.
You're exactly right. Get tobacco mosaic virus in your garden you may as well start over

Reaction score
Ok, so I don't really have any helpful input here, but why is it this thread reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer and Grandpa accidently cross Tomatoes with Tobacco on the old Simpson farm.

Reaction score
I don't even know where I would get the tobacco powder. I imagine it would be rather costly as well. I have mainly used organic pyrethrum sprays as a pesticide in my garden. It paralyses insects that come into contact with it. I have also tried out a weak solution made from black tea and even milk. But my philosophy is to keep a good balance of bugs and weeds in my garden. I don't try to wipe them out but rather control them naturally so they don't get out of hand.

Reaction score
Wow that's quite innovative. I have to keep an eye on this research. Thanks Becky for posting :)

Reaction score
I don't even know where I would get the tobacco powder. I imagine it would be rather costly as well. I have mainly used organic pyrethrum sprays as a pesticide in my garden. It paralyses insects that come into contact with it. I have also tried out a weak solution made from black tea and even milk. But my philosophy is to keep a good balance of bugs and weeds in my garden. I don't try to wipe them out but rather control them naturally so they don't get out of hand.

Actually I bought mine from the store, I don't remember the gran name, but there is a company that sells tobacco powder mixed with other things... specially for the garden. My plants loved it and it kept most pests away.

Reaction score
This is off topic, but reading through that article reminded me about a news article I saw the other day - scientists may have found a way to use an extract from tobacco plants to fight cancer (ironically)!

http://theconversation.com/tobacco-...new-twist-in-protein-lipid-interactions-25271

Certainly sounds interesting!

Sorry, Becky. I thought I had chosen the right category! Thanks for sharing that link, I'm all into things regarding to cancer research, and I do also find it so ironic something that has caused so much harm could also be the potential cure. I will definitely read more about this later, cancer is killing far too many people already!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, Becky. I thought I had chosen the right category! Thanks for sharing that link, I'm all into things regarding to cancer research, and I do also find it so ironic something that has caused so much harm could also be the potential cure. I will definitely read more about this later, cancer is killing far too many people already!

Sorry I meant that it was me being off topic - not you! ;)

Reaction score
Oh ok, my bad the, Becky! Hehehe, I thought: ''uhm, strange, I thought I was on topic'', lol Thanks for clarifying :)

Reaction score
I've always heard to sprinkle the tobacco from a cigarette over an ant hill to kill the ants. I tried it once, and it worked. I mean, it didn't kill the whole colony or anything, but you could see them dying. So, I think it might work.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I read about the effects tobacco can have on those tiny critters, I then think about how toxic it must be as well once we smoke it and get into our bodies. I mean... if it's that hostile to pests, what about our cells? Just saying!

Reaction score
Yeah, but actually the tobacco powder you buy specially for gardens seems to be less stronger than the concentrated version.

Ask a Question