Using tobacco powder as an organic pesticide

Reaction score
Although garden strength tobacco powder may seem to be less concentrated - it is not - which is one of the main reasons as mentioned further up this thread - that many organic gardeners are now staying away from using it.

Reaction score
Oh, I hadn't seen this post until now, Gata! That's good to know! When I used it I did think that it was less concentrated, mostly because the smell, but I guess it's not the case. I might not use it again the next time, I don't want to kill the good ones, too bad tobacco powder doesn't work in a selective way, hehehe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I hadn't seen this post until now, Gata! That's good to know! When I used it I did think that it was less concentrated, mostly because the smell, but I guess it's not the case. I might not use it again the next time, I don't want to kill the good ones, too bad tobacco powder doesn't work in a selective way, hehehe.
Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of tobacco powder. There are many unintended consequences using this stuff and none of them are good

Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck, I haven't gardened in a while, but next time I will surely avoid using that to ward off the pests. Will get more info on organic gardening, since I want give edibles a go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck, I haven't gardened in a while, but next time I will surely avoid using that to ward off the pests. Will get more info on organic gardening, since I want give edibles a go.
In an organic atmosphere where everything is in balance insects or rarely a problem at all. If the soil is healthy and the plants healthy the insects actually do very little damage. There are 2 kinds of insects. The bad ones and the good ones who are called beneficials. Maintain the balance and you don't really need insectides. And if you do have a problem once in a while you sure don't want to eliminate all of the insects, just the ones who are chewing on your chard or biting on your beans.

Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck, I took biology back in high school, and I did heard about beneficials and symbiotic relationships in nature (paid attention to that). Your explanation does make sense, I guess it's similar to a human body having high defenses; a strong immune system; virus and bacterias won't bother you much. Interestingly enough a strong immune system can also keep cancer at bay as well, something to think about since the cells in our bodies are constantly changing. Will work hard on keeping the soil healthy (y)

Ask a Question