Organically getting rid of pests/disease

Reaction score
I don't believe in using chemicals, especially around my food, so I only want to use organic methods of dealing with pests/disease.

I've heard of using neem oil and diatomaceous earth (and have used the latter before). What are some other methods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm against using chemicals as well. Natural solutions are safer and cheaper. Usually, I use water or water with soap. In my opinion it's the best way to fight mites. These nasty creatures attack my miniature roses every year!:confused:
I've never tried using neem oil. Does it rally work?

Reaction score
I also used water and soap on the aphids that tried to invade my beautiful kalanchoes in the past. It worked wonderfully. Another thing I liked to use on the soil was tobacco powder, it was wonderful to scare away some pests, but really wonderful and nutritious for my plants! I definitely saw a difference when I used that tobacco powder and when I didn't.

Reaction score
I too am not very keen on using chemicals in my garden either and for the most part use a garlic spray - which is suitable for use on all plants and is incredibly easy to make - its great because it works on most pests and on most types of fungal growth - with the added advantage of being able to decrease or increase the strength - which is dependent on the amount of garlic used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been totally organic for over 50 years. There are different things for different pests, but if I were to pick one pesticide as an all around bug killer it would be Spinosad. For catepillars of any type Bt (baccillous thurigensis). For scale insects Neem Oil. For stink bugs, believe it or not, the red Pamalive dish washing soap.

Reaction score
I read somewhere a couple of years ago that cinnamon is great for getting rid of bugs. No big likes cinnamon apparently. I put cinnamon all around my house outside and have yet to see the any colonies.

Reaction score
I don't believe in using chemicals, especially around my food, so I only want to use organic methods of dealing with pests/disease.

I've heard of using neem oil and diatomaceous earth (and have used the latter before). What are some other methods?
Diatomaceous earth is fantastic. It keeps the slugs away and controls bugs. I even take food grade diatomaceous earth internally. It's the fine grit from the shells of ancient crustaceans.
I've used organic pyrethrum as an organic pest and disease control in my garden. I also tried a milk and black tea.
I am not overly concerned with keeping my garden bug free, but don't like to let diseases get out of control.

Ask a Question