Orange and Lemon trees in bad shape, help please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are better quality images of the two I took above.
http://imgur.com/a/kP5Hp
http://imgur.com/a/Aq9aJ
If you look closely, they are completely curled up. Especially in the first image, in the center. It's not happening to all of the leaves, just most of them.
I've seen all that on my lemon tree. I think it's all about the soil. I don't know if your trees will survive, since they seem to be young, but improving the soil seems to me to be your only option. Luckily for me I started building up my soil well before planting my tree, so the fix took less time to take effect. All sand is, is rock, plants that are heavy feeders need more then rock to get healthy. You don't need to dig up the soil, just heavily mulch and the nutrients will make their way down to the roots. Keep the mulch very moist so the process starts and keeps going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi

We have well water here so the white stuff on the leaves is from the well water. It kind of leaves that trace ok everything.

I'll try to heavily mulch the area around the trees. I also have a huge mango tree that's beautiful and full of fruit. I also have an avocado tree that likewise is huge and full of fruit. It's just these three trees I'm having an issue with, the lemon, cocktail, and orange tree. Oh and the kumquat tree too which is strange because it was doing so well before and now the leaves are beginning to look this way too.

Sincerely,

Blue-Thumb :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow what a difference. It looks great now, good job on that. My only concern is that my trees don't look like yours did in the 'before' pics, mine look very curled and as if something is killing them. They are in very very very poor shape, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a lack of nutrients that is causing this, or something bigger than that. I just don't understand it..
Like I said above, I've seen that curled-look before, I just never got pics of it. Today I went out and looked at my tree more closely and I also have some leaf curl and some leaf miner damage. However, it doesn't look as bad as your tree, only because my tree is healthier this year. If I would have taken closer pics of the leaf curl last year or the year before it would have looked much worse than your tree.

Here are some pics taken today of leaf curl and leaf miner damage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do see it now on your trees in the photo. That's exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm going to keep doing what I can to improve the soil and perhaps do something about what I believe are citrus leaf minersas you mentioned. I don't know if I should use a spinosoid or just go with a Bayern advanced citrus formula since these little ones don't have any fruit yet. Have you ever done anything about the miners, or just worked on the soil?

Thanks for the close up pictures, that put things into focus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do see it now on your trees in the photo. That's exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm going to keep doing what I can to improve the soil and perhaps do something about what I believe are citrus leaf minersas you mentioned. I don't know if I should use a spinosoid or just go with a Bayern advanced citrus formula since these little ones don't have any fruit yet. Have you ever done anything about the miners, or just worked on the soil?

Thanks for the close up pictures, that put things into focus
Spinosad will not work on leaf miners. The bayer product you are using says it controls leaf miners although I have never found anything that works on them. A small moth flies in at night lays it eggs and disappears. You never know it was even there and then your leaves curl and you can see the trail of the caterpillar inside the leaf. Miners are not usually a problem on healthy trees, just a bit unsightly. I would work on the soil and ignore the miners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Spinosad will not work on leaf miners. The bayer product you are using says it controls leaf miners although I have never found anything that works on them. A small moth flies in at night lays it eggs and disappears. You never know it was even there and then your leaves curl and you can see the trail of the caterpillar inside the leaf. Miners are not usually a problem on healthy trees, just a bit unsightly. I would work on the soil and ignore the miners.
I agree, I never attempt do anything to protect any of my plants against leaf miners and I've never lost a plant to them. It's all about the soil.

Ask a Question