Tip: Lemon and Orange Peels for Keeping Cats Out

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Save all your lemon and orange peel after use and place them around the garden where the cats get in. Also, if you can identify the areas where they defecate (they tend to use the same spots ), put some peels there too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd never guess that citrus peels can keep cats away. Thank you for the information, I'll tell my friend about it. Her garden is often visited by not very friendly nor clean kittens;) Personally, I don't have this problem, because I'm a dog owner:D

Reaction score
Although I think that this may work with some cats - it most certainly doesn't with mine - who even though they hate the smell of citrus and particularly the smell of fresh lemon - will either just push it to one side or even lie on it :D

There is however one small problem with this method - in that - you do need a bountiful supply of citrus peel for this to work - as it only works while the peel is very fresh and once the peels start to dry out - which is within a few hours if you live in a hot climate - you will need to replace them as they loose their effectiveness.

So unless you eat an abundant amount of citrus fruit - it might be better to try using bits of bark or twigs from a lemon tree as the scent last longer - however as I mentioned before - it may not be an effective deterrent to all cats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does this work for indoor potted plants as well? I don't have a problem my cat doing her duty in my plants, but she does eat them.

Reaction score
That is very interesting, but is it just something you observed, or something scientific? Just curious, is all. My neighbor has a cat that always comes into my garden and scuffs up the place. I will keep that in mind next time I eat citric containing fruit.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this advice posted on pinterest. I also saw a post that pine cones in the garden is also a good way to keep cats out of the garden because the cones are rough to the cats paws. The lemon peels method would require a large amount of peels but since it is finally getting warm that may not be a problem if you make fresh lemonade. I love oranges and lemons and eat the peels so the cats are safe in my yard from the citrus method at least.

Reaction score
With all due respect - I really can't believe that any of this advice on how to keep cats out of your garden can have come from someone who has any knowledge of cats - especially as most cat owners will know that there is no sure way of keeping any cat or cats from using parts of their garden as a toilet - other than by training them to go elsewhere with the aid of a water filled spray bottle :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a little dirt spot in my front yard that stray cats love to turn it into their litter box. I have tried moth balls, used coffee ground, and some other method, but none has deterred them from dropping their poops. It stink badly when the wind kick up. I was about to use some bleach for that area.

Will save my orange and lemon peels for this to test out! :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea that they disliked lemon and orange peels.

Ask a Question