Potted Lemon Trees Yellow/Orange Leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have an issue with my lemon trees and I am concern. I have done what I was recommend for the lemon tree soils and the leaves are still turning yellow and orange.

I have 4 lemon trees that I grew out from the seeds. I have had them for about 3 years now maybe a bit more and they have not grown much ;(.

I decided to re-pot them a few months ago to bigger pots in hopes that they would shot up and start growing. When I re-potted, the leaf of one of them started to turn yellow/orange. I can see signs on one of the other trees leaves turning yellow as well.

I thought that it was maybe because I had them inside the house with a light over them, luckily started to get warmer around her about a month ago so I took them out hoping that would help with the yellow leaves. But no luck.

I water them about 1 a week, some times 1 every two weeks since that is what I was recommended to do.

For the soil, I mixed in about 50% to 60% sand and the rest potting soil to have good drainage. I am not sure if the sand I used is too fine......?

I have not put fertilizer on them since I am afraid to kill them been the condition they are in at the moment, but maybe they need a nutrient...??

I forgot to take pictures this morning before leaving to work but as soon as I get home I will take some pictures of the soil mixture, sand I use, and trees themselves.

I do see some other post on here that might help me a bit already but I wanted to show my trees to see if my issue is something else.

Any help and advised is greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pictures of my lemon trees, you can see that the leaves are pretty bad, more so on one of the trees.

Also, my tallest tree is only a foot or so and they are already 3 or so years old. How bad am I messing this up?

Attachments

• lemon2.jpg
    lemon2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 237
  • lemon3.jpg
    lemon3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 229
  • lemon4.jpg
    lemon4.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 223
  • lemon5.jpg
    lemon5.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 258
  • lemon6.jpg
    lemon6.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 264
  • lemon7.jpg
    lemon7.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 246
  • lemon1.jpg
    lemon1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot to mention the sand. Has you can see on some of the pictures I have a pretty well drained pot on all trees. Like state on my original post, I used a mix of about 50% to 60% sand and the rest potting soil.

Attachments

• sand1.jpg
    sand1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't normally respond to issues concerning potted plants because I don't do container gardening. However, I do have a couple lemon trees and I know they are heavy feeders, so I wonder what's the point of using any sand, especially as much as 50%(+), which provides nothing -- I don't believe drainage is enough of a reason to add sand to a container. BUT THEN AGAIN...I don't do container gardening, so I'm not sure...

I also don't think regular potting soil is good enough for these heavy feeders, but I emphasize that I don't do container gardening and I don't buy soil, so in that respect I can't offer any recommendations. However, for my lemon trees, they get tons of composted soil for all their nutritional needs.

Maybe this will help.... http://www.gotogardenista.com/best-fertilizer-for-lemon-trees/

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't normally respond to issues concerning potted plants because I don't do container gardening. However, I do have a couple lemon trees and I know they are heavy feeders, so I wonder what's the point of using any sand, especially as much as 50%(+), which provides nothing -- I don't believe drainage is enough of a reason to add sand to a container. BUT THEN AGAIN...I don't do container gardening, so I'm not sure...

I also don't think regular potting soil is good enough for these heavy feeders, but I emphasize that I don't do container gardening and I don't buy soil, so in that respect I can't offer any recommendations. However, for my lemon trees, they get tons of composted soil for all their nutritional needs.

Maybe this will help.... http://www.gotogardenista.com/best-fertilizer-for-lemon-trees/

Thank you for the response. I have them in pots so that I can bring them in during Winter. I read the link you sent me and will be switching out their soil. I also bought some citrus plant food and chelated iron and added the recommended porting to each tree. The plant food is 8-3-9. Based on what I have read and the what you mention I think they aren't getting enough nutrients.

Ask a Question