onions

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've actually never grown onions are they as easy to grow as people say?

Like Bees says, start off with the sets, if you find you get on with them and don't have too many bolt then stick with them, or do like I do and have a mixture. I grow Spring Onions and Competition onions from seed, but still got a prize for my set grown onions :)

Reaction score
I have grown green onions. I tried my hand at yellow onions. They don't seem to turn out the way I want them to. I have also tried the purple onions as well. I would love to get some of those large sweet onions to grow. Another type I want to try is the Walking Egyptian onions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My "fun" onions this year are, "Bunton's Showstoppers".
I sewed the seed on Boxing Day, and they're just through.
I'm only growing 12 maximum; my other onions will (hopefully) be Bedfordshire Champion, Bristol F1, and Red Baron.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here with the Kelsaes, just putting out the roots, need more light though, a couple of weeds came up earlier & they're getting a bit leggy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've given up on food plants for now other than herbs. They just take more time and attention than I have to give at the moment, unfortunately. I wish I could grow onions though, because I go through at least a couple per week, but the time it takes to grow food and then the space to have enough to last until you grow more... it's easier to go to my local farmer's market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm never home, @zigs, you know that. My ideal situation would be that I don't have to work a "regular" job, I have lots of space for growing, and I have a warm green house and a cool one so that I can grow warm and cool weather crops almost year round. That way I could stagger my planting every couple weeks in order to always have the basics like onion and carrots (still have not had success with garlic as of yet).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying garlic in pots. I tried elephant garlic that way last year, and, although it was reasonably successful, my wife and I didn't really like it.

Planted the cloves in November, and 15 have sprouted so far.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying garlic in pots. I tried elephant garlic that way last year, and, although it was reasonably successful, my wife and I didn't really like it.

Planted the cloves in November, and 15 have sprouted so far.

I think Elephant Garlic is half Leek, but you wouldn't know it flavour wise.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, bit disapointing.

Reaction score
I'm a fan of any kind of onion. I add them to as many foods as possible - salads, soups, hamburgers, meat loaf, lasagna, tomat0 sauce. etc. etc. Onions add flavor to anything. I love onions and can't get enough of them.

Ask a Question