Onions: I Have No Idea What I Am Doing

Reaction score
Country
United States
(see attached photo)

Hi: This is our second year of attempting to garden. I bought these onions at the local green house. Apparently they are onion bunches. MIL saw them and said I needed to separate them and plant them apart for them to grow properly. I thought I'd get online and see if I could get some sound advice. I dug up one whole plant and thought about separating them but would have no idea on spacing etc.

Thanks for your help,

-Tom

Attachments

• onions.jpg
    onions.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those look like bunching onions or maybe walking onions. And yes you should have separated them into smaller bunches They will still do OK. Just keep feeding and watering them and next year you will have a big gob of green onions to do something with. I don't think they are the bulbing type so don't expect to make onion rings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
If you're growing for bulbs then you should separate, if growing for tops then no need to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Also if growing for bulbs don't plant too deep.
Just put them in deep enough so the roots are covered.
Even if they lay down, they will stand up after a while.
I made this mistake and ended with little or no bulbs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's not possible to tell if they are bunching or bulbing onions; they just look like bunching onions AFTER they've grown; bulbing onion plants, whilst young, will look exactly the same if grouped closely together.
My bulbing onions from seed look like that.
Soak them, really soak them, part them, and re-plant them singly, or in groups of three, six inches apart.
If they are bulbing onions, you'll get small bulbs from groups of three, larger bulbs from singletons, and have done no harm if they're bunching onions..

Ask a Question