Onion seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I planted some onion slips last fall and pulled up all but 3 that I sort of forgot about and never died. 2 just recently started turning brown so I dug them up and ate them but the 3rd keeps growing and is about 3ft tall with a bloom that is starting to open. I'm assuming after it blooms and dies I can harvest the seeds? I tried to google it but there seems to be so many factors like if it's a hybrid (no idea) then the seeds could be sterile? I don't even remember where I got the slips from to be honest. I buy stuff from Walmart, Home Depot/Lowe's, bug nurseries, small mom and pop nurseries and even from people who grow things on craigslist, lol. So, do I HAVE to wait for the blossom to start browning before I clip it? Is the onion in the ground still edible? It's a red/purple onion if that makes any difference. I'll post a pic of the bloom in the comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's what's about to open

Attachments

• 20170509_110816-1.jpg
    20170509_110816-1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 230

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've never bothered saving onion seed, it's cheap enough for a new packet, but no reason why you shouldn't give it a go :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
unclear about question but growing onion from seed is far superior then any other method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
unclear about question but growing onion from seed is far superior then any other method.

lol, I guess I just want to know if I can harvest the seeds BEFORE the flower blooms or if I have to wait (I want to pull the onion) and if the onion is still edible down there now that it has gone to seed.

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wait for the flower to bloom then die, then let the seeds dry out on the stem, you can then harvest them when they are completely dry. You cannot pick it before they're dry and you won't be able to eat the onion.

Ask a Question