One herb you have always wanted

Reaction score
There are too many to count. I have really slacked in my herbal gardening. I have grown basil very succesfully. I like to grow it every year. Cilantro has been hard for me to grow. I don't know why but it always dies on me. I have many medicinal herbs that I would like to try and grow. My problem is that I want to grow it all at once and I know that I will not have the time to really study them and learn to understand them if I do this. I don't know if this would be considered a herb or not but I have always wanted to grow my own tea trees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are too many to count. I have really slacked in my herbal gardening. I have grown basil very succesfully. I like to grow it every year. Cilantro has been hard for me to grow. I don't know why but it always dies on me.

Cilantro loves water. I over watered mine once thinking I would let it sit in the water (drip pan) for a while and then dump the water so the roots wouldn't rot. Within an hour or less that excess water had been soaked up by the plant! If I grow it again I'll know to put it in a larger container and keep it moist.

Reaction score
Cilantro loves water. I over watered mine once thinking I would let it sit in the water (drip pan) for a while and then dump the water so the roots wouldn't rot. Within an hour or less that excess water had been soaked up by the plant! If I grow it again I'll know to put it in a larger container and keep it moist.

I will have to try that. I think I also had mine over-crowded in the pot that I had it in. Next time I will use a bigger pot for them. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Is there one herb that you have always wanted to grow? One herb that has always died out on you or just beyond your reach?
I have always wanted to grow the Pandanus leaves or Ramba plant. I couldn't get hold of one until the beginning of this year .. and is it worth it! . I use it in most of the dishes I make. It has got a distinctive flavor and aroma.

I have never heard of that one either - but it looks interesting.

Reaction score
Ugh! I hate laptops sometimes. I was trying to type more but leaned on some button somewhere and the post got away from me!

I would like to grow lemon grass, because I'd love to be able to use it in cooking.

I forgot to start my cilantro and dill this year! I don't know how I managed, but I just planted a bunch of seeds of both with some carrots in an interim bed, in the hopes that they still might grow. Then I read that dill and carrots don't grow well together. Sigh. Well, hopefully I'll get cilantro, anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will have to try that. I think I also had mine over-crowded in the pot that I had it in. Next time I will use a bigger pot for them. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! I just finally got some more today and I hope I can keep it healthy so it can go to seed. That way I can keep it going indefinitely and have multiple plants. I saw a picture of some growing in a child's wading pool, but I don't think I will ever need that much cilantro, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have never heard of the Ramba plant but have to say, your photo, looks so healthy, Maddie. I love rice, so this sounds like a great new addition. I didn't have any idea which herb I would choose but now I know:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just acquired some new herbs the day before yesterday. I had to go out for more milkweed so while I was there I also purchased sage, lemon balm, parsley, cilantro, and fennel. I had parsley growing already and then I also had swallowtail caterpillars. They polished off one plant and started on the fennel. Today I removed what was left of the parsley and put a second fennel plant in the habitat. I had debated about getting dill, but decided I could always go back for it later.

Reaction score
I have never heard of that one either - but it looks interesting.

Now you have! I just love it. I use it in my cooking everyday.
It smells so good in baked stuffed to. I used it in a meatloaf and it smelled like heaven. now, I have decided to use it in all my baked vegetable dishes too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When it comes to herbs, I don't have any special wishes. I already have what I want. I remember that when I was a child, I found some mint in my garden, I had no idea what is it but I loved its scent. I promised myself that in the future, I'll grow it in a pot in my room:)

Reaction score
Now you have! I just love it. I use it in my cooking everyday.
It smells so good in baked stuffed to. I used it in a meatloaf and it smelled like heaven. now, I have decided to use it in all my baked vegetable dishes too.
That's the best part about gardening - there are always new things to discover! :)

Reaction score
I have always wanted to grow patchouli, It is one of my favorite scents. I know it's in the same family as mint so I hope that it would spread. I just want to know how it smells when it is fresh off the plant. If I could get my hands on patchouli I would learn how to extract oils ( patchouli oil is so expensive.). I might even learn how to make incense.

Reaction score
I had never heard of ramda before, it sounds delicious. I love rosemary and have grown it but because it is a tender perennial I have to dig it up and over winter it indoors. I would love to make it last a winter but it never does which really frustrates me. Rosemary makes beautiful topiary plants but mine never lasts the winter inside.

Ask a Question