One herb you have always wanted

Reaction score
Is there one herb that you have always wanted to grow? One herb that has always died out on you or just beyond your reach?
I have always wanted to grow the Pandanus leaves or Ramba plant. I couldn't get hold of one until the beginning of this year .. and is it worth it! . I use it in most of the dishes I make. It has got a distinctive flavor and aroma.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Until now I would have said I have always wanted to grow rosemary. I just love the smell of it, even though I don't really cook with it. At the moment I have two kinds of basil, peppermint, parsley, time and the rosemary. I'd like to have lemon grass and some other things, but I am running out of space, lol.

Reaction score
The problem is the same here.. I have absolutely no space to grow more. Here is a picture of the ramba plant.. used widely in Thai and Asian cooking.
ClickHandler.ashx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've never heard of the ramba plant before, Maddie. How is it used in cooking? What kind of flavor does it have? Is it spicy? Do you use only the leaves? From the looks of it, I would guess you use it in soups and possibly in tea as well.

Reaction score
Yes, it is cooked with rice.. it makes ordinary rice smell like jasmine rice. We use the leaves in meat dishes, soups, puddings and custard. Nope it is just a flavouring agent. One leaf is enough to flavour a huge pot of rice. I just love the smell.
I wrap fish in these leaves and grill them... My husband hates the smell of fish.. but once I started doing this he enjoys eating fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oooh, that sounds lovely! I'm going to have to ask around and see if I can get it here. Do you chop up the leaf or just put it in whole like a bay leaf? Right now I am looking for lemon grass (that's after I get my mirliton vine established), but this sounds like an interesting aromatic plant to add to my garden if I can find it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chamomile is so easy! And you can easily multiply it because it drops so many seeds I have a couple baby plants I got from my mom. I plan to start more from seed really soon.

Reaction score
A few years ago I visited England, and had an egg salad (or as the English call them, egg mayonnaise) and watercress sandwich at Hampton Court Palace which was really tasty! Upon returning home I tried putting watercress in my egg salad sandwiches, but they didn't taste the same and the watercress looked very different. I started Googling and determined that the variety I had in England was probably mustard cress, which isn't readily available here. I ordered a packet of seeds from an English seller and tried sprouting them in a dish, but had the worst luck with them. Either they wouldn't get enough water and die, or I'd forget to make egg salad when they were ready for eating and they'd die. Now I think the remaining seeds are lost.

I hope I won't have to go all the way back to England just to eat another egg salad sandwich like that again!

Reaction score
Oooh, that sounds lovely! I'm going to have to ask around and see if I can get it here. Do you chop up the leaf or just put it in whole like a bay leaf? Right now I am looking for lemon grass (that's after I get my mirliton vine established), but this sounds like an interesting aromatic plant to add to my garden if I can find it.

You use it the way you do bay leaves. I generally tear up a leaf into few bits as it is pretty long to fit into a pan. Or fold it and throw it into the pan.
I need a few lemon grass plants too. Those keep the mosquitoes away. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...determined that the variety I had in England was probably mustard cress... t had the worst luck with them...

I bet Zigs would know something about that watercress and how to keep it alive. What growing zone are you in?

You use it the way you do bay leaves. I generally tear up a leaf into few bits as it is pretty long to fit into a pan. Or fold it and throw it into the pan.
I need a few lemon grass plants too. Those keep the mosquitoes away. :)

Maddie I am hoping I will run across some lemongrass at the grocery that I can just stick in water and regrow.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was highly lightly that it was a Mustard & Cress sandwich. Water Cress is only usually used as a garnish & a lot of people leave it on the plate??

Put several layers of damp tissue in a tray, sprinkle the Cress seeds first & keep in the dark, 3 days later sow Yellow mustard seeds.

When the leaves have opened, move to a well lit spot to green up. Harvest when they are about 2 inches tall :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have never heard of a ramba plant before either, but from the picture, it sure looks beautiful, and it sounds like a wonderful addition to a rice dish.
Are they hard to grow, and how big does one of the plants get ? Will it spread once you plant it, or how is it propagated ?

Ask a Question