Old and New Technology

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your compliment Sean. :)

Yes these vintage radios were made up to an high quality then not down to a modern low price as is the case now.

I always restored using old techniques like hot hide glue (scotch) I also liked to use a freshly sharpened scraper whenever possible to remove old finish down to bare timber rather than use abrasive paper and very seldom did I ever use chemical stripper which I detest.

The first veneering job I attempted was nothing but frustration; no YouTube videos back then so it was a case of trying to learn from books; the veneer tried to walk from the bench in disgust at my efforts but I'm very stubborn indeed and kept at it until I realized both sides of the veneer needed to be wet then it balanced out; just adding hot glue to the back of the veneer caused the veneer to curl up making it impossible to lay; I use the hammer method having made my own veneering hammers. Here is an excellent veneering video I wish I had seen when I started to veneer for the first time; it's easy with a bit of practice;

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question