Old and New Technology

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've always been interested in music, I can appreciate a good tune, sung or played well of any era.
I've played an electric piano for a few decades and a tenor sax (badly) for nearly ten years.

I've a varied collection of music on LPs, CDs and mp3 files.
I got into vinyl jukeboxes over ten years ago. I've two.

A 1976 Rock-Ola 468, all this needed was twenty years of tar removed from it and a "new old stock" graphic which cost me five pounds.

P1020550.JPG

and a 1969 Rock-Ola 443, (my favourite) which I cosmetically restored
It looked "dog rough" in the e-Bay listing photo, but I could see the chrome was un-pitted.

Rock-Ola 443.jpg

But after a bit of attention.

P1030334.JPG

Both have to live in our tea house as they weigh 300lb each, would be difficult to move and would take up too much room in our small house.

I've had this jukebox wall box for about the same length of time, it was a non-runner, so I put bigger speakers in it and I use it to play mp3s on my laptop. Jukebox wall boxes were originally connected to a jukebox, or what is called a "hideaway" the mechanics, electrics and record carousel in three-foot cube box in the back room of cellar or a bar. You can see these wall boxes at the end of bar booth tables in some classic films. More opportunities for bars to make money.

It also serves as a telephone directory, the previous most common use for them when they no longer work. It lives in my "office" ... alright, the box bedroom.

P1010099.JPG

But ten years ago wall boxes were unloved as there was little else you could do with them.

About eight years ago, new technology came in. I was in early on this as the information was posted on a USA message board dedicated to jukeboxes. So I was able to purchase two of these boxes, cheaply on e-Bay. Being unused for decades, they needed a bit of "fettling," but just lubrication of the mechanics and cleaning of the switches and contacts. The chrome on both is pretty good, enthusiasts often have them re-chromed but it's a hell of a job to dismantle them and they often won't work when put back together. It's also horrendously expensive to have them done.

P1010094.JPG

P1010093.JPG

The title cards you can print off in a number of designs and colours from a pdf on a jukebox enthusiasts web site. Though I now have a programme for it on my lap top in case it disappears or they want to charge you for the facility.

The three foot cube "hideaway" has been replaced with this, the size of a matchbox and an "unloved" third generation iPod.

I've some quick release connectors so I can swop the wall box connections over.

P1010096.JPG

The iPod holds the 160 selections that the wall box is designed to play. So I can enjoy the nostalgia, by putting coins in the box, pressing the necessary buttons for my choice, hear the whir of the pulse sender, then hear the track play though my vintage Leak tune/amp and big Goodmans speakers. I had to make a special hardwood shelf to support the boxes and hide all the wires in trunking, to keep my wife happy. Note the other vintage audio technology, all working perfectly.

P1010095.JPG

The wall boxes have become an investment, because as the technology became more well known the prices of these wall boxes have risen by more than five times the price I paid for them.
I've also a spare title card magazine, so with a third second-hand i-Pod the selections available are now 3 X 160.

P1010098.JPG

I do have a stick in the side of the TV with over 3,000 mp3s on it and a DVD/CD player under the TV, but "it isn't the same."

Jukebox trivia.

For those of "a certain age,"

Remember when you went into a bar or a cafe in your youth and put a coin in the jukebox and made a selection, then how happy you were when it played "your record?"

It didn't matter how many people chose and paid for that record, if it hadn't yet been played, it would only play it once.

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for sharing such a lovely story Sean; I'm well impressed by what you do. Your kitchen looks spick and span and very neat; your music equipment is to die for and you'll be so proud of it; I love to see people like you and your wife getting along so well together enjoying life with your respective hobbies. I certainly do remember juke boxes; one of my favourites was "Terry" by Twinkle in my biking days. Kids miss so much now because there is little interest in "Texting"?

You'll be looking forward to our two day long summer up here in the north as much as I am; I missed it last year.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin: You might have found a soul mate in Sean Regan and vice versa! Good news!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for sharing such a lovely story Sean; I'm well impressed by what you do. Your kitchen looks spick and span and very neat; your music equipment is to die for and you'll be so proud of it; I love to see people like you and your wife getting along so well together enjoying life with your respective hobbies. I certainly do remember juke boxes; one of my favourites was "Terry" by Twinkle in my biking days. Kids miss so much now because there is little interest in "Texting"?

You'll be looking forward to our two day long summer up here in the north as much as I am; I missed it last year.

Kind regards, Colin.

Thanks Colin but don't give the game away.

Whenever weather is discussed in telephone conversations with relatives and friends down south, whatever it is, when asked, we always say it's sunny,.

Those kitchen pictures are ten years old, but it has worn well, but we need to get it redecorated because of having the boiler changed. We've got as far a getting the wallpaper....

We did have this. (taken mid November last year)

P1000078.JPG

But after everything around and above the boiler had to be removed, we ended up with this after the new one went in.

P1000773.JPG

It took me some weeks to find a kitchen company who could make a matching kitchen door and supply a new length of pelmet.

Getting there...

P1000774.JPG

I then had to do a bit of "fettling," to find something on which to hang the door, so I made a new narrow shelf unit. Then remade the false narrow door to the right of it.
I had to make a new "L shaped" detachable tiled panel that hides all the pipework. Fortunately I was able to soak off the tiles off the old panel and I did keep some spares from ten years ago.

P1000776.JPG

The pelmet had to have a detachable bit so that front panel of the new boiler can be swung down for servicing. I also had to restore the boxing in over the top. By coincidence you can see the boiler light through the tiny gap between the door and the pelmet.

P1000962.JPG

At first it looked such a problem that my wife thought she might get another kitchen out of it.

But I soon "dashed her hopes."

In the meantime the old fridge/freezer gave up the ghost and we couldn't get a 95cm replacement they were all 96cm, so couldn't be slid in and we didn't like any of the smaller ones.

P1000788.JPG

So we had to have a taller one and lose the top cupboard and I cut the drawer front down to make a soffit. The handle came in handy for the new door in front of the boiler.

P1000789.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I was very pleased that I was able to restore the graphic on the smaller jukebox.
These are usually in one piece, but the colours fade over the decades.

This is the problem with which I was faced.

P1020600.JPG

I managed to achieve this by obtaining some different colours in A4 acetate cutting them to fit, overlaying them to get the graduation in the colours and then use some frosted opaque acetate, to complete the look.
The jacket card insert, (that round thing) can be removed and replaced with a 45rpm record sleeve.

These inserts always go "blue" over time. But I managed to get a "new old stock" replacement from the American company that held all the Rock-Ola spares remaining. They had only six left and only found them as I was able to supply the part number from a service manual. I had to buy two because of a minimum charge, but I managed to sell the spare on e-Bay to someone with the same jukebox in Cyprus. I'd imagine they've all been sold now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Between Sean and Colin, I realize how backward I am at technical challenges. However, I did get a ballpoint pen to work today!:happy:

I can't always do that!

I have got a few spares, the chemists where I go regularly to collect my wife's prescriptions, always has a jar full of them

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Between Sean and Colin, I realize how backward I am at technical challenges. However, I did get a ballpoint pen to work today!:happy:
Same here! The blessed pens sometimes work, sometimes don't. Son said, "Chuck them!" But I always thought it might work next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D:ROFLMAO:...same here @alp, I have a drawer especially for tired pens , I optimistically think they may get a second lease of life ....one day!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Oh gosh!!! @Colin........'Terry' , that takes me back! I knew all the words to that.....such a sad song:cry::cry:

I like to play the tunes of that era.

Johnny Angel

https://app.box.com/s/emo07tffvw3oazvwyg8g

Raining in My Heart

https://app.box.com/s/c91qqhdpvyupe9dddnn8

Breaking Up is Hard to Do (slow version)

https://app.box.com/s/rxajej524xol8vzeqa6q

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

https://app.box.com/s/nfr9u9bu1xg9bddzdjk1

Just One Look

https://app.box.com/s/iqxoqqlic7szlvxcrs6oai7lyi2rnjkj

I've got loads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
(y) @Sean Regan .....loved the Hollies too....Alan Clark looked like the boy nextdoor! Also Bus Stop was a fave of mine too..... We've diverted from the thread now and have got lost down memory lane:ROFLMAO::D

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the list Sean; many nights Bron and I play the 60's video songs through YouTube; we never tire of them. :)

"Terry by Twinkle" is indeed a sad song Upsy Daisy and came out at the wrong time; I was an apprentice mechanical engineer with the National Coal Board at the time and attended Wakefield Technical College; one of my fellow apprentices was called Terry Hemingway; Terry owned a 175cc Lambretta but traded this in for a 600cc Norton Dominator; Terry I believe was killed instantly whilst riding his Dominator down a quiet country road when a horse jumped out of its field colliding with him. What a truly sad loss because Terry was a great guy.

I might still have the record Terry and on the flip side I believe it has "Boy of my dreams" Here's Twinkle;

Here's a video I came across on YouTube and we've watched dozens of times; we like the original movie Dirty Dancing but we think this video is even better.

Regarding old & new technology; I was brought up in the steam age; I must have been aged about 5 before our home had electricity installed; just one coal fire to heat the whole cottage; peggy tub and rubbing board also a posser for the washing with mangle to remove most of the water; then my parents upgraded to a modern twin tub washing machine. Schools didn't close and industry carried on when the snow fell; we were so poor every kid in school received a gill of milk each school day with one or two receiving a gill of orange juice; milk monitors were responsible for handing the milk out and this responsibility was taken seriously;

https://springchicken.co.uk/entertainment/memory-lane/school-milk/

Only one neighbour had a vehicle it being an old van that seldom ran; others thought food to be a luxury and obesity in those days was a case of see the fat lady in a circus. Old technology was having a pair of legs with feet attached which were better than the modern 4X4 for getting around in all extremes of weather; holes in shoes were common and if wellingtons were worn the sore legs were a real pain; I still detest wellingtons to this day.

Littlewoods pools jackpot was £75,000 and a guy called Horace Batchelor from Keynsham was forever on radio selling his magic winning formula;

Things have moved on from the steam age and these days it's all mostly down to electronics and electrical goods; we buy the cheapest washing machine it being a Beko and when it breaks down it's now cheaper to replace the entire machine that have it repaired with circuit boards easily costing £100 which is a rip off grand style.

Cars are now disposable items with so much money around; we usually trade our car in at three years old against another new car.

Just rambling as usual and sorry to hijack your thread Sean but now £75,000 only buys a low end property.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've fully restored many vintage radios and the pictures below show one of these which can be listed under old technology; it's an Ultra Tiger from around 1931 it being a TRF set.

One leg was very loose and the veneer needed a bit of work; I stripped the finish from the cabinet and French polished it; the chassis was also given a complete rebuild from bare chassis up; it's a radiogram and still works; the veneers are beautiful and this is a set I kept from when I disposed of most of my collection.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ultra Tiger_002.JPG
Ultra Tiger_003.JPG
Ultra Tiger_004.JPG
Ultra Tiger_005.JPG
Ultra Tiger_006.JPG
Ultra Tiger_008.JPG
Ultra Tiger_009.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've fully restored many vintage radios and the pictures below show one of these which can be listed under old technology; it's an Ultra Tiger from around 1931 it being a TRF set.

One leg was very loose and the veneer needed a bit of work; I stripped the finish from the cabinet and French polished it; the chassis was also given a complete rebuild from bare chassis up; it's a radiogram and still works; the veneers are beautiful and this is a set I kept from when I disposed of most of my collection.

Kind regards, Colin.

I'm very impressed with your handiwork.

It's also typical that the veneer hadn't lifted off. Back when this was originally made, they used real "cabinet makers," who individually crafted each of the cabinets, no mass production as we got later.

Ask a Question