OH DEER!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So deer must like camillias. Anybody know of any new super duper deer salad pooper sprays or other new tricks to stop the lovelies from denuding these 2 year old camellias?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are deer repellents made of rotten eggs that seem to work well. The smell isn't too strong after it dries, though you wouldn't use it next to a patio where people sit. It also needs to be reapplied every so often, more often when it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So deer must like camillias. Anybody know of any new super duper deer salad pooper sprays or other new tricks to stop the lovelies from denuding these 2 year old camellias?
I have a severe deer problem even though I shoot them year round whenever I can see them. I have purchased two brands of the rotten egg stuff. One is by Bobbit and the other is Liquid Fence. They both worked fairly well and directions say that once sprayed it lasts a month. This is a LIE. Maybe 2 weeks max. At 20$ per quart it gets a tad pricey for my taste, so I decided to make my own. I get 18 eggs and set them outside for about 2 months or until they get rotten and I mix the eggs with a gallon of water in a gallon jug that has a secure top. Then I get 6 heads of garlic, peel the cloves and run through a food processor. I then put the finely chopped garlic into another 1 gallon jug with a top. I always grow superhot peppers such as Carolina Reapers or Ghost peppers, so I put 50 into a food processor and put the ground up peppers into another 1 gallon jug of water. Then about every two weeks I will mix 4 oz of each into a gallon of water. When you use this stuff you MUST use a strainer. I use one of those little hand held metal mesh tea strainers. I have found that if I spray every 2 weeks it pretty much keeps the deer away but since I am in my garden every day I can see if any deer has been around and if so I just spray with the garlic and the peppers.

P.S. When handling the eggs I don't touch them. All I do is leave them in the container and crack the end of the eggshell open and then turn the egg carton upside down over a big bowl and then pour the eggs into the plastic jug. Shake it up a lot before you add the water. You will have a few egg shells in it but when you strain the stuff you will remove them. Do this on a breezy day and stand upwind. After you spray the stuff the odor goes away quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a severe deer problem even though I shoot them year round whenever I can see them. I have purchased two brands of the rotten egg stuff. One is by Bobbit and the other is Liquid Fence. They both worked fairly well and directions say that once sprayed it lasts a month. This is a LIE. Maybe 2 weeks max. At 20$ per quart it gets a tad pricey for my taste, so I decided to make my own. I get 18 eggs and set them outside for about 2 months or until they get rotten and I mix the eggs with a gallon of water in a gallon jug that has a secure top. Then I get 6 heads of garlic, peel the cloves and run through a food processor. I then put the finely chopped garlic into another 1 gallon jug with a top. I always grow superhot peppers such as Carolina Reapers or Ghost peppers, so I put 50 into a food processor and put the ground up peppers into another 1 gallon jug of water. Then about every two weeks I will mix 4 oz of each into a gallon of water. When you use this stuff you MUST use a strainer. I use one of those little hand held metal mesh tea strainers. I have found that if I spray every 2 weeks it pretty much keeps the deer away but since I am in my garden every day I can see if any deer has been around and if so I just spray with the garlic and the peppers.

P.S. When handling the eggs I don't touch them. All I do is leave them in the container and crack the end of the eggshell open and then turn the egg carton upside down over a big bowl and then pour the eggs into the plastic jug. Shake it up a lot before you add the water. You will have a few egg shells in it but when you strain the stuff you will remove them. Do this on a breezy day and stand upwind. After you spray the stuff the odor goes away quickly.
Haha I bet that tastes wonderful! I have Arbol and Cowhorn peppers on hand. I never thought about herbivores because my folks used pepper on carnivores by spraying the trash for bears or wolverine or those feral cats that are able to survive an Alaskan winter. If I see a deer with its tongue hanging out I will be sure to say @Chuck says hi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haha I bet that tastes wonderful! I have Arbol and Cowhorn peppers on hand. I never thought about herbivores because my folks used pepper on carnivores by spraying the trash for bears or wolverine or those feral cats that are able to survive an Alaskan winter. If I see a deer with its tongue hanging out I will be sure to say @Chuck says hi!
A couple of years ago right before dark a young doe walked into my okra patch. I had just sprayed pepper spray the day before. I think they were Trinidad Scorpions but anyway the doe grabbed a bite and about 15 seconds later she literally jumped backwards and started rubbing her face on the ground,whereupon she started walking away shaking her head with spit flying. It was too dark to get a decent shot but I don't think I ever saw her again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My Man! Deer Whisperer! But a question here in the early spring? Would a mineral oil and soap be the carrier or just soap or? I understand the peppers themselves are like opec and deal in oil themselves.

BTW was by tractor supply and your recipe is selling for 47 per gallon before a 10% thanks for nothing tax.

Ask a Question