The deer got in my garden last night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The deer had a party in my garden last night. There's not much left. The zucchini are gone. I have some beans left in the boxes and the ones on the side of the house are okay. They did a job on the New Zealand spinach and took the greens off of a lot of the carrots. The radishes are mostly untouched. Some of the leaves were picked off one habanero pepper, but I think they only at one one of the fruits and that drove them away. I would have liked to have seen the deer that bit into the hot pepper! They don't seem to have been interested in the basil, lavender or mint.

The New Zealand spinach may be salvageable if I can keep the deer from coming back. It's frustrating because I've been trying to get around to picking the spinach for a few days now. The lettuce, which is barely out of the ground, is about half gone. I'll try to plant some more.

I needed to vent!

Thanks,
DiMart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh my, what we gardeners put ourselves through. Believe me, i think we all have felt your pain many times over. It sounds like your garden was bountiful. I am so sorry for this hard earned loss. If there are salvageable plants that should be some small compensation. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking more about how to keep the deer away. To start with, I think that I need to cover my garden boxes. The boxes are 2 x 4’ and 4 x 4’. They are 8 inches deep and elevated up on cinderblocks so that I can reach them from my wheelchair. I’m wondering if chicken wire covers would keep the deer out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

DiMart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I don't know of any for sure permanent way to keep them away (other the Chucks suggestion) . You might be able to try something like coyote urine (a bit here and there around garden perimeter) if you could find it at an Agway or perhaps large garden center. If you live where it is not to populated (with people) area , perhaps draping some recently worn but unwashed clothing around (they don't like human scent) .

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never had to deal with deer in my garden. But human urine is good for the garden. I've known hunters that pee into water bottles to keep the smell from alerting the deer.

Can't hurt to give it a whiz try. ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know of any for sure permanent way to keep them away (other the Chucks suggestion) . You might be able to try something like coyote urine (a bit here and there around garden perimeter) if you could find it at an Agway or perhaps large garden center. If you live where it is not to populated (with people) area , perhaps draping some recently worn but unwashed clothing around (they don't like human scent) .

I bought some fox urine from a hunting/fishing store and I do notice that the critters stay away but only for a short period of time. Once the scent wears off (rain or whatever), they come back. I had to reapply weekly.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’ve been thinking more about how to keep the deer away. To start with, I think that I need to cover my garden boxes. The boxes are 2 x 4’ and 4 x 4’. They are 8 inches deep and elevated up on cinderblocks so that I can reach them from my wheelchair. I’m wondering if chicken wire covers would keep the deer out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

DiMart

We have a chainlink fence on one side of our yard and the deer hop it easily. I'm not sure if they would go into a small garden box but certainly if it was big enough, they could jump it no problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have a small fence of at most 5 feet., but the use of these battery powered motion detecting sprinklers really runs deer off.
61VklM93T3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
And I thought I had problems with my birds. Atleast i6 can construct a little something to keep them off my plants . Keeping deer out is bviously a bit more challenging . Good luck. All very frustrating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have Sam who barks at anything that moves around at night, or in the day. Think his intent is to play but he enjoys chasing deer.

Ask a Question