How do you control deer?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
My garden is located near bushland. It is also some distance away from my home. Whenever I or my neighbours plant cereal crops or vegetables like tomatoes, foragers like deer invade at night. There was a time I had planted runner beans and the animals practically helped themselves to everything. How do you control such animals?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have tried a fence in the past, however, deer are agile jumpers that can easily jump over a fence to get to the green goodness in your garden. We have had success by simply planting vegetables that the deer will avoid. We never had any problems with the deer eating our tomato, squash, zucchini, or cucumber plants. Beans, peas, and lettuces often fall to the mercy of rabbits and deer. One way we attempt to avoid this from happening is to plant natural deterrents near or bordering these crops, such as marigolds, onion, dill, and other smelly herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry for the damage plants but isn't it exciting to know that deer is invading your garden? It is a rarity here because we only see deer in the mountains (if you are lucky though) and in the zoo. By the way, the invaders of our extended garden are the loose chickens. There are 3 chickens owned by our neighbor. It's okay because they don't eat the plants there. However, they tend to dig holes and sometimes it is near the plants so there is a tendency to do damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I'm with Corzhens - part of me thinks it must be such a novelty to see deer in your yard!! Living in suburbia over here in Japan, I can't say that I've seen more than the odd spider grace my backyard. But I can understand how the deer would be a nuisance too, and no doubt the novelty and majesty of the deer wears off pretty fast if they're causing trouble and making a mess.

Ask a Question