Shrubs for Front Yard: Part Sun and Deer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I used to be quite a gardener, and then I discovered traveling. :)

Last year, my entire front yard was overrun with an invasive weed. I pulled out everything. All that remains are a few boxwoods and some nettle. There is also some grass re-seeding happening here. Ignore that.

I have been trying to create a new layout in front of my foundation for some shrubs. I'm terrible at it.

I'm ok with flowers but I know nothing about design with shrubs. I live in New York, and it is very humid in the summer. It can go to -15 occasionally in winter.

The yard faces south, and deer, slugs and wetlands are abundant.

So far I bought a dwarf alberta spruce (it is so cute) that I thought I could put on the left corner, and I don't know what else to get. So, 2 mixmatched boxwoods and a spruce. Whoo-hoo! :)

I bought this program to try some ideas, but again, I need help. I don't really know how to use it, but I'm trying!

Would this be a good plan? I have NO experience, so you can't hurt my feelings by correcting me.

I am open to all suggestions, but I am just starting with the shrubs. I will also get some flowers to fill in.

The larger space (on the left) is about 18' x 6'. There will be grass in front of that brick line, so that is not garden.

If anyone has shrubbery experience (or is a Monty Python fan of shrubbery) please send your recommendations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are in Texas, but lived in upstate NY for years, and gardened like crazy. We had great luck with variegated wigelia which is low growing (3' or so) and blooms in spring. A Rose of Sharon or Butterfly Bush at the far left corner of the house (behind where you plan to put the spruce) which will require some pruning to keep the height correct. Tree peonies are absolutely stunning, and are hardy.
Please don't be offended, but those three green cowpats in front of the tortured spiral bush are really awful. Your home is lovely and should be emphasized, not subjected to topiary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hahah. Thank you so much! This is EXACTLY the kind of help I need! I have no clue. I love the phrase “tortured spiral bush”. My sister said the same thing. She told me they grow out disgustingly.

I appreciate your thoughts. I’m going to seek out some tree peonies. I have an abundance of the other suggestions in my back yard. I’ll transplant them.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you need some colour there and Marlingardener's Weigela suggestion is a good one. :) Some are hardy down to -4F. Some Lavenders will cope with very low winter temps too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think your best bet would be to take a picture of your yard to a local nursery and have them make some suggestions. They will have the plants in stock and you will be able to see them in person. Shrubs grow and will soon take over. Keep them far enough away from your house and don't add too many types.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I actually did exactly that, and they made some suggestions. Of course, I asked two people, so I got 6 answers, but I’m slowly progressing. I appreciate your input!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
variegated box wood would be great. a rose shrub also for color. some interesting conifers are nice. there is one that had white tinges on it. Looking up conifers gives you some interesting pics.

Ask a Question