Newbie - Growing Indoors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, everyone. I'm wanting to start an indoor herb garden inside of my apartment. Because of the size, I am interested in doing a vertical garden, like the one shown in the picture below. Since I won't have the space outdoors, I'll need to keep it inside.

It takes two of the following systems, runs a pipe through the middle, and puts a small sprinkler on top. This is put on a timer. ( Akro-Mils RZJMEDI Medium Stack-A-Pot, 30-Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IYHIKG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OSkOvbA846F14 ) I was thinking about hanging a grow light above it, to give it adequate lighting.

My main question/concern is, do y'all think it would work? Or, would y'all recommend a different way of doing this? I'm wanting to grow a different variety of herbs: mint, parsley, basil, etc. ...and, I am new to this, so I appreciate any help/advice/critique.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! :)
I would just wonder if that design, while cute, would allow for all the plants getting enough light. Seems the lower ones might be overshadowed, but if you can place and rotate it near a sunny window that wouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Welcome to the world of plants. My advice for starters in the herb garden is Mint. From my experience, that is a good herb which we regularly use. When we have house guests, we just pick some from the garden to decorate the plates. And mint is very prolific. Just get one and plant it, surely it will grow and multiply. We just cleaned one planter box and trimmed the mint. We threw the trimmings under the sugar apple tree for fertilzer, thinking that it will rot. Last week, I notice that there are mint growing under that tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the group, Like Beth said if you can rotate the planter ever few day it should work out.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome

I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work - particularly as stacker pots are great for growing herbs - but that said - if using them indoors there are a couple of aspects worth considering - one of which would be the height - which as the planter would need to be rotated regularly in order for all plants to get the required amount of light, as well as possibly moved from time to time - think half the height would be the better option.

Also as the one shown incorporates a watering system - making sure that all the herbs you group together share the same sun and water preferences - will help - for example - Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Thyme and Marjoram all like to be kept relatively dry - unlike Mint, Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Tarragon and Parsley - all of which require plenty of moisture.

The one aspect that I think may be a hindrance is the sprinkler - especially as herbs are generally healthier when watered at soil level - mainly because - regular moisture sitting on the foliage - more often than not leads to fungal infections and disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I think the main issue will be the lack of sunlight. Maybe you can chose herbs that do well in the shade, such as lemongrass, mint or oregano if you can get some seeds. Also you should not over water them, since their soil will take longer to dry.

I love the smell of herbs indoors, so it's a nice idea you got there.

Ask a Question