Help with lawn for newbie

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
After spending my honeymoon to unplug the weeds from my husband’s brother’s home (aka not our home), and a couple argument with inlaws on whose responsibility to take care of the lawn (as the owner don’t want to turn on water due to the water bills), I am now leaving the country with soar muscle.

For the record my husband has vertigo and is not fit to do too much gardening outdoor in Southern California weather (zone 9b). I am not there to help him as I am still in the visa process (long distance).

I am hearing conflicting information from various gardening who were giving us the quotes in the last 2 days. One who quote over $1000 says the weed has to be removed by hand, and those wood chips area need to be redo with that cover clothe. Second says the lawn cannot be saved, and need new lawn.

I plugged as much as I could before I left. I do noticed the weed one the wood chip area with clothe is easy to remove if it were on the clothe, though there is tear and the side edge has more weeds and harder to remove.

I read online and a spray called “weed b gone” seemed would work (?). The weed are mainly on the lawn, though I few on the fruit tree side that I think can be unplugged by my husband if spray is not recommended.

Based on the picture and the tough in between situation, what do you recommend me to do (from long distance)?

Thanks

Attachments

• 51B562F2-2868-4127-B1BB-992795CD7557.jpeg
    51B562F2-2868-4127-B1BB-992795CD7557.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 69BF4C1A-A384-4FB6-BB25-0CBE74BBB49A.jpeg
    69BF4C1A-A384-4FB6-BB25-0CBE74BBB49A.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 7B2F1268-4CFA-4BCE-A5C5-914B83E6D394.jpeg
    7B2F1268-4CFA-4BCE-A5C5-914B83E6D394.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No matter what you do or how much you spend to get rid of weeds they will come back. Personally, I don't want to keep applying a herbicide, so what I do is mulch everything and then just let nature takeover -- no mowing and those weeds actually can become beneficial to attracting wildlife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
LGY, I see you are, or will be, in southern California. Water will be expensive and there may be severe water restrictions. Why not give up on having grass?
You could remove the existing grass and weeds and install paving stones, gravel, whatever appeals to you and have low-maintenance, low water usage plants that are attractive. You and your husband could sit on a patio and enjoy your yard rather than just constantly working on it.
Here's a website that will give you a better idea of possibilities than I can describe. And please come back to the forum and ask any questions you may have!
https://www.landscapingnetwork.com/Xeriscape-landscaping/

Ask a Question