New workshop project.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Colin, I have a sneaking suspicion that were we able to peer inside your skull, we might see a picture quite like the gears and spindles and wires and.....LOL

Keep on with the workshop!

(if you get a chance, pop in on the "what's looking good in March" thread, I posted some pics of my trimwork.)

Cheers.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks mg guy; you are so right; my head is always busy and many nights I awake and can't get back to sleep until I've solved a problem; strange how I can think with such clarity around 3am?

Wires indeed and yes you're right of course because this morning I've been in the workshop playing with wires. I did all the wiring on the two lathes to the VFD on temporary basis knowing once I got everything working correctly I could then draw the circuit diagram and tidy everything up; I've removed the front enclosure panel from the VFD a number of times and its disturbed the 3 phase rotary switch connections; initially all the wire ends were tucked in neatly under the connecting washers/screws but the pictures show just what can happen during the experimental stages. a few wire strands became displaced; not dangerous but also unwanted so this morning I replaced the cable and made a permanent job of the connections using crimp terminals so I'm now happy this is fully safe; I'm still awaiting Cat 6 cable to arrive then I can complete the wiring and the lathes can then be used in anger; I'm not encouraging anyone to follow my lead because many projects I do are highly dangerous especially when it comes to electricity from mains supply.

I've also remade the Lorch remote control station this time using aluminium to match the remote station on the Graduate; I know I'm picky but I enjoy pottering around like this and I have endless patience not accepting compromise. I hope the Cat 6 cable arrives tomorrow; it's holding the job up and I'm keen to see if it cures the cross talk between wires?

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00324.JPG

This should not have happened but did due to removing the panel so many times.

DSC00325.JPG

Rear view of new remote control ready for connecting when the cable arrives.

DSC00327.JPG

New aluminium remote control for Lorch.

DSC00331.JPG

Permanent and fully safe connections how they should be. No loose wire strands allowed.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The Cat 6 cable arrived yesterday afternoon so I headed straight into the workshop and spent a most frustrating afternoon in there without success. I ran the Cat 6 cable but it made not a bit of difference; the Lorch lathe refused to run which was winding the big key up in my back; I was convinced all the wiring was correct and all connections sound; I had successfully run the Graduate through this VFD for a couple of years but the Lorch didn't want to be friendly?

I'm very stubborn though and tried everything I could think of; there are lots of power cables in the workshop also plenty of cabling for the lathes so where was the problem; I noticed if I secured the front control panel to the VFD enclosure the Lorch refused to run but if I let the control panel hang loose the Lorch then ran OK but the motor was a bit noisy? I discovered this just before knocking off yesterday afternoon.

This morning I was in the workshop early and decided to isolate the speed control potentiometer 3 pole switch? I made a new control station just for this one switch but it involved lots of wiring and I also now wired up the Graduate; WOW both lathes are now fully working; it was either this 3 pole switch being located too near the motor rotary switch or the remote control cabling inside the VFD "cross talking" moving the switch cured the problem and as usual once the answer is know its all so easy but it took me many hours of frustration and head scratching unaided by knowing the Graduate had been running OK. I hope this information is of use to anyone trying to add remote controls to a VFD; BEWARE CROSS-TALK KEEP LOW VOLTAGE SIGNAL CABLE WELL AWAY FROM POWER CABLE AND THIS APPLIES TO ANY SWITCHES.

I'll tidy everything up tomorrow and add a front door to the VFD enclosure; I'm now looking forward to using both lathes again but now both have full speed control and I've decided to add reversing onto the Lorch it just needing a suitable change over switch; the wire is in place so this will be easy. The New Poly-V drive is working very well indeed and should eliminate the previous belt slippage. I'll sleep tonight without this problem on my mind. (y)

I'm adding a picture of Cat 5 and Cat 6 cable for those like me who have never previously used these cables; Cat 6 is left it having aluminium shielding.

The bright light (low energy 240V) to the side of the VFD is a beacon to let me know when power is switched on; I connected it directly into the 13A plug. I've got so many machines plugged in it's easy to leave one switched on.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00335.JPG
DSC00336.JPG
DSC00338.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Job done. I did the bit of finishing off today adding a door to the VFD enclosure together with assorted labels. The labels were drawn on "Paint" and printed off; the front of each was covered with clear Sellotape the rear with double sided self adhesive tape.

The enclosure is made of offcuts; had the weather been kinder I'd have spent more time making a better enclosure.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00341.JPG

Ask a Question