JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I'd share this little project I'm doing in my "pond garden" area.

This little half-circle garden has been one of my favorite parts of my pond area, other than the pond itself. I've decided to triple its size this year.
IMG_7589 copy.jpg

This new garden area will be about 10 or 11 feet long and 3 feet wide. I haven't started just yet, but if the weather cooperates, I might begin tomorrow. I was lucky enough that I found just enough bricks to complete this project without buying any more. The bricks were left over from my old 400 gallon pond.
IMG_7593 copy.jpg

Obviously, the most important thing to share is the selection of plants I intend to add. This list isn't final. I may remove or add a specie or two, but I'm fairly certain these will all be included.

Prairie Smoke. - Definitely included. I hope to have at least 15 of these in a few years as I grow them from seed.
IMG_2361 copy.jpg

Orange Milkweed
IMG_3485 copy.jpg

Stout Blue-eyed Grass. - I already grow these everywhere around my pond, so I might as well add some to this new garden.
IMG_2668 copy.jpg

Prairie Coreopsis. - I just started growing this specie from seed this spring. I think this'll be a good location for it.
IMG_9985 copy.jpg

Long-headed Coneflower. - This plant doesn't seem to do well out in my native garden, so I'm going to move it to this new garden in hopes that it grows better in the future.
IMG_4951 copy.jpg

Purple Prairie Clover. - I have trouble growing this plant because the rabbits love it too much. I'll plant some seedlings here and see if they grow. If not, I give up with this specie.
IMG_3685 copy.jpg

Bush's Coneflower
IMG_3161 copy.jpg

Rocky Mountain Penstemon (Photo from Google). - I grew this plant as a gift to a relative and decided to grow a few for myself as well. I'll see how many pollinators it attracts when it eventually blooms, and that will decide whether I keep it or not.
Rocky_Mountain_Penstemon_3.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if I should sow my wildflower seeds. Temperature here is about 9c in the morning and hovers about 7 to 9 this week at the lowest. I had one such beautiful coreopsis with brown spots near the centre. A lady came to view the house and asked me how I could bear leaving that behind. Memories ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp my Dads gardeners sowed his wildflower seeds a fortnight ago. (y)

Plans look good @JBtheExplorer and love your choice of planting, especially the Orange Milkweed......it'll be a wildlife buffet bar!:)(y)

Thank you, @Upsy Daisy ! Can't do anything without your help. I googled after the post. It says the temperature should be consistently above 10c. We are nearly there. As my plot is west facing, I will scatter them today as the rain will give them a good send off, like a good breakfast. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am saving seeds from this year’s wildflowers and will plant them by the new house when it is finished. I mark the bags with their proper names like “little yellow flowers by the barn”, “skinny blue flowers by the creek” and so on. You can tell I’m a very technical person. :confused:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@alp
love your choice of planting, especially the Orange Milkweed......it'll be a wildlife buffet bar!:)(y)

I already grow it everywhere, so I'm actually more excited about the others! It'll definitely help to add color throughout summer. I'm excited to see the area in a couple years once things have established themselves. Ugh, I hate waiting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I am saving seeds from this year’s wildflowers and will plant them by the new house when it is finished. I mark the bags with their proper names like “little yellow flowers by the barn”, “skinny blue flowers by the creek” and so on. You can tell I’m a very technical person. :confused:
I do that too!!!!!!:LOL:......so glad I'm not the only one(y)
I've got pkts of seeds collected from my Dad's garden ....Little pink flowers near the waterfall ...Blue flowers next to greenhouse :D:ROFLMAO::D. Who needs all these proper names, Latin or otherwise :LOL::LOL:

We've nailed it @Silentrunning .....we had better register our invention before someone nabs it as theirs...genius aren't we!!!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've done as much as I can. There's a rabbit nest in the original section, so I don't want to work on that until they're out of the nest.
IMG_7609 copy.jpg

Made a few changes, plant-wise. I'll be trying Meadow Blazing Star in this garden. I've had bad luck with it rotting out in the native garden, so maybe this warmer, drier area will keep it going. I'll probably also be moving my only Yellow Star Grass to this garden, since it's so small and easy gets overgrown out in my native garden.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't mind them, but why are they so difficult to pronounce and impossible to remember!

I'm actually shocked at how good I am at remembering those names. I haven't used the name Hypoxis hirsuta in a long time and somehow I remembered it about five minutes ago.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The bunnies are out of the nest, so I spent today finishing my new garden addition. All I have left to do is add plants. I made this garden area 12 feet long by 3 feet wide. The soil is just slightly raised and only a thin layer of natural mulch is used. Much of the soil will be left bare for ground-nesting bees like Sweat Bees.

IMG_7776 copy.jpg

Also got to see one of the bunnies today, though I've been seeing evidence of it for a few days.
IMG_7774 copy.jpg

Ask a Question