Vivarium project!!

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Hello. I'd like to build a vivarium but my only setback right now is the substrate. I'd like to make a bioactive substrate but I can't get most of the things that I've been seeing on the net. I need help to make it and I need suggestions for things that I could get in the wild that I can use to make it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello. I'd like to build a vivarium but my only setback right now is the substrate. I'd like to make a bioactive substrate but I can't get most of the things that I've been seeing on the net. I need help to make it and I need suggestions for things that I could get in the wild that I can use to make it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
For what creature are you creating this environment? Centipedes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
So what kind of frogs and toads will you be putting in it..? That's the first decision you need to make..

I live vivariums....and terrariums....

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Hallowells toad. It's not in the pet trade but I'm getting some tadpoles soon and I'd need to at least setup their enclosure before then. That's why I need the substrate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
From what I have found about them they are frogs..What is the lowest temp year round and at night where you live?

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
About 23/22°cish. And the highest is about 30°c but that's only on the hottest days in the hottest months. It doesn't usually pass 28°c

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
They will be easy to keep... For a simple set up I would start with a little larger gravel on the bottom and them use moss from outside. Can you get some from the woodlands? I would find sheet moss. Once you get it, doesn't have to be in one sheet, you would need to clean it...lay it out on an angle and flush it with fresh water. You can use a drop of bleach in the water then wash it away on the final rinse. Then lay it over the gravel and moisten it. Use a spray bottle. You should have a light on it or near it..

Tell us more about what your set up will be like...

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well for starters I'd like to put some bioactive substrate(I mean that is what the thread is about) then I'd probably add some moss but I'd like to position it round their water bowl and I'd also like to add some live plants but I'd only be able to use some plants that I'd find outside. And also the main reason I want to use a bioactive substrate is so that they can have an extra food supply apart from what I feed them because when the morph into frogs they are really small and they don't usually accept fruit flies even the smallest. And at that period they'd accept baby woodlice(I'll be using woodlice for the clean up crew because where I live in can't get springtails). Everything that I'm going to use for the substrate I'd have to get from outdoors. I've already gotten some soil but I need to know what else I'd probably need to to make it a bioactive substrate. And also could you check my other thread, maybe you'd be able to identify the Moss that I posted. That's the Moss that I'm using
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/id-help.15318/

So yeah that's my plan for the terrarium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
That is very good...so when are you getting these critters? you should be set up well in advance...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Well, keep us posted in your endeavor....you had better get going....

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Is there anyone out there who can help me with the materials I'd need for the substrate? Any suggestions and I mean any at all would be helpful. Thanksa

Ask a Question