New Garden HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. I live between zones 6 and 7 depending on what map you look at. I started my first garden this year. A 4 by 8 foot 16 inch deep raised bed. Placed weed fabric and mixed Miracle Grow raised garden soil and Black Kow compost. I planted Bonnie Organic strawberry, pablano pepper, zucchini and Better Boy tomatoe plants about 4 days ago in their biodegradable pots and covered with about an inch of mulch. I also watered with miracle grow mix. The garden gets about 6 to 7 hours direct sun. I water once daily and soil remains moist. Now im seeing browning of strawberry leaves and wilting of a few other plants (see photos). What should I do? Are they ok? Will they rebound?

Attachments

• 20170420_134350.jpg
    20170420_134350.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Strawberries are hardy,the other plants are not.

It could be frost damage, but that would not explain the strawberries.

But to be honest, from the picture most, if not all plants have had it,some of it also looks like weedkiller damage, again not sure,but 4 days is not long and it looks so instant.

Disheartening l know ,but try again,don't give up.

Has it been cold at night?

Reaction score
Country
United States
50's at night. I do have some seeds for Tomatoes, Zucchini, Peas, Strawberries and Watermelon. I wonder if its too late to try to start from seed? I may have over miracle growed the plants with high concentrate.

Reaction score
How high a concentrate?

New plantings do not need feed,the soil if in good shape will supply that.

Try again with seed,buy in strawberry plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Id rather use my seed anyway as long as i have time. Start indor or plant seed directly in gareden?

Reaction score
Like stupidly place miracle grow directly on the plant without mixing.

That explains the damage,only comfort is you are probably not the first.

Start again ,from seed ,indoors raise and harden off plants as normal.

Second thing,do not constantly water,plants need to make root growth by searching out moisture, they wont do that if you keep watering daily.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah didn't really pay close attention to the directions but I can admit that lol. Hopefully I have time to start seeds indoors and still have a harvest this season. I assum I can use the soil I mixed in the garden for the seed trays. Thanks for the replys.

Reaction score
Don't use garden soil to raise seeds,use a sterile medium.

You don't want weed seeds mixed in,to muddy the waters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Very top growth tips will start yellowing and curling when they get too much ferts. If your not at that point yet, lift the plants, remove the peat pots and flush them really good with water, as well try watering your soil in an attempt to flush/mix the ferts so that it will be more evenly distributed. Then replant. Consider making it more drainage friendly for the strawberries.

You shouldn't be watering daily. After a transplant, water it good once, and then wait for signs that it needs water. It can take up to a month for your next watering because the root systems will naturally be digging and sourcing more water on their own, this is especially true in a raised garden bed, yours particularly due to the fact that there's several things that you listed contributing to good moisture control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planted some Zucchini seeds... this is what I have day 5. They look odd to me.

Attachments

• 20170425_082110.jpg
    20170425_082110.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 220
Reaction score
If they are up in 5 days,that seems as though the temperature is pretty high,get them somewhere cooler and with good light.

Hopefully they will sort themselves out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They look like they got turned upside down ! Those white spikey things are their roots..... the leaves are still in the seed coating. Cover the poor things up !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use composted cow manure in early spring for my strawberries and then don't feed then until later summer. I never use Miracle Grow in my vegetables gardens, I mix in lots of composted cow manure a few weeks before planting any thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They look like they got turned upside down ! Those white spikey things are their roots..... the leaves are still in the seed coating. Cover the poor things up !
They were covered with a dome, took it off for the pic. I carefully straightened them out with tweezers and covered the roots with a little soil and placed under a grow light in a 75° room. They already turned a little more green.

Ask a Question