Help for novice gardener!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am a new novice gardener but only have container gardening. I was very proud of my plants that were doing well but now have issues. My clematis has started to get yellow leaves at the base though still growing well at the top. My honeysuckle has distinctive small yellow spots on most of the leaves and my magnolia tree leaves are starting to fade and go yellow. Could it be over or underwatering. I have been watering every day in hot weather but as in pots may be not enough? Or are they deficient in something or do they have disease. I have been watering when sun gone in. Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
C773928B-0DED-4911-AF86-435F4E095454.jpeg
80CD1729-9B88-4548-86F8-87489834080D.jpeg
F82984C5-BC32-4D77-95CD-8455397530B3.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi! It would help to know about your environment, what are the daily temps for example? Where are these plants geographically or USDA zone info? What kind of pots are they in? What are the daily temps of those pots? So you spray for insects or fungi? Daily watering is probably too much, where they cannot breathe with a wet root and it stops the vacuum effects of the plant transpiration.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. As Becky stated it has been very hot here in the uk for the past few months hence why I have been watering daily as they are in pots. Could they be deficient in something as all nutrients drained out of pots? Can anyone recommend a good feed for the clematis and honeysuckle - is there specific ones or can I use a general one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Tina. :) The more plants are watered, the more nutrients disappear from the soil, particularly when in pots. A good general purpose feed is blood, fish and bone. A dose of Epsom salts may also help.

If your plants are growing in a bought general purpose compost the fertiliser may be long gone. It only generally lasts about six weeks.

Ask a Question