New forum section - indoor plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have added a new forum section for indoor plants - it is a common topic so we thought it was deserving of it's own little part of the forum!

Please post all topics about indoor plants in this forum section in the future :)

Indoor Plants

Also, if you have any suggestions for other forum sections which you think would be useful please let me know!

Reaction score
We have added a new forum section for indoor plants - it is a common topic so we thought it was deserving of it's own little part of the forum!

Please post all topics about indoor plants in this forum section in the future :)

Indoor Plants

Also, if you have any suggestions for other forum sections which you think would be useful please let me know!

Have a few suggestions which I thought might be worth a mention.

Annuals - as the planning and planting of these, is something that many people seem to, religiously do every year. They are also often peoples first introduction to gardening.

Bulbs, Corms and Tubers - another area of gardening that seems to be popular, with bulbs being relatively easy to grow, often producing satisfying results in a short space of time.

Cactus and succulents - often grown as a hobby but also about the only thing that survives hot arid conditions, with enough varieties to please everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an eye out for topics that fit into those categories and I'll add them in if needed. As we've already got a lot of forum categories it might be better if I perhaps rename some of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I love that this was added as its own entity! All of us obviously love gardening, however the poor house plants were getting lost in the dust of the outside gardens. My son told me the other day "you don't even need a garden we have a garden house." I love my house plants, my favorites are my orchids! Do any of you have orchids? Having them for me is exercising extreme patience!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love that this was added as its own entity! All of us obviously love gardening, however the poor house plants were getting lost in the dust of the outside gardens. My son told me the other day "you don't even need a garden we have a garden house." I love my house plants, my favorites are my orchids! Do any of you have orchids? Having them for me is exercising extreme patience!

I have orchids, I love them! Here's a topic showing some of mine: My Orchids

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
image.jpg
I have orchids, I love them! Here's a topic showing some of mine: My Orchids
Those are absolutely gorgeous Becky! I have one in bud right now that is a very dainty burgundy flower and it smells like vanilla cocoa! It was blooming when I got it for Valentine's Day, which they recommend not buying it in bloom, but I could not help myself. The fragrance is so delightful you just want to stand next to it all the time. I was shocked when it started to spike just a few short months later!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those are absolutely gorgeous Becky! I have one in bud right now that is a very dainty burgundy flower and it smells like vanilla cocoa! It was blooming when I got it for Valentine's Day, which they recommend not buying it in bloom, but I could not help myself. The fragrance is so delightful you just want to stand next to it all the time. I was shocked when it started to spike just a few short months later!

That sounds divine! Do you know the name of the variety?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That sounds divine! Do you know the name of the variety?
I cannot find the name of this particular variety but I took a picture of the flowers for you and maybe you or someone else might know the name!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 365
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have manged to grow orchids outside, on the veranda and edge of carport but not the indoor variety. It's a shame as they are beautiful. I'd love to know what I am doing wrong. ...over water ...under water...near the heater...not near the heater...I just don't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have manged to grow orchids outside, on the veranda and edge of carport but not the indoor variety. It's a shame as they are beautiful. I'd love to know what I am doing wrong. ...over water ...under water...near the heater...not near the heater...I just don't know.
I don't move them once I put them into their space. I spray mist water them each day and give the whole plant a mist even the roots and otherwise do not water them. I have this one in a window near a heater vent and it seems to like it just fine! :) One thing that is really important is patience because they are slow moving, and sometimes I think people think they kill them because they do not constantly flower. I hope you try again they are so rewarding when they bloom and grow nice for you!

Ask a Question