Hello, new to the Forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello from Tx, I was needing some advise on 2 mini rose bushes I got for my wife at Walmart. I got them 12 days ago, they were in a tiny planter pot inside a small coffee cup. They were in the house, bloomed beautifully and then about 4 to 5 days ago started to wilt and die. Today I put some Miracle Grow potting soil and Miracle Grow Sphagnum Peat Moss in some pots after mixing and then added the bushes. Here is the pictures of them if I do it right, coming up. Any advise and help would be appreciated.
20180522_093606.jpg
20180522_093631.jpg

Attachments

• 20180522_093623.jpg
    20180522_093623.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 232

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bingo, I am not sure about the mini roses, but welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will have the answer for you!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. Look fine!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cut off as much dead, brown and wilted parts off. I also put pea gravel under the soil/moss mixture for drainage. I was told that the plants were being drowned in the little cups. I'm not completely sure if I'm doing everything correctly but I'm giving it a shot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bingo, welcome to the forum! Judging from the second photo, it looks as if the rose is recovering. Water from the bottom so the roots will develop and you'll avoid the chance of developing leaf diseases from watering overhead. I'd keep them in semi-shade (morning sun, afternoon shade) until the leaves have a chance to grow, then gradually move them to a sunnier spot. Depending on where you are in Texas, roses usually like a bit of shade and relief from our relentless heat and sun.
Lesson learned--buy plants from a nursery, not a big-box store! Those roses were forced into blooming, and therefore stressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @BINGO :)

Not sure how helpful this may be , but I was given a couple of mini rose ' bushes' a couple of years ago and after blooming I planted them out in the garden. They are still doing well and bloom every year :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you think the Rose's will make it with a little tender care? And what type of food can I give them to help?
Bingo, welcome to the forum! Judging from the second photo, it looks as if the rose is recovering. Water from the bottom so the roots will develop and you'll avoid the chance of developing leaf diseases from watering overhead. I'd keep them in semi-shade (morning sun, afternoon shade) until the leaves have a chance to grow, then gradually move them to a sunnier spot. Depending on where you are in Texas, roses usually like a bit of shade and relief from our relentless heat and sun.
Lesson learned--buy plants from a nursery, not a big-box store! Those roses were forced into blooming, and therefore stressed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I do think, judging from your photo, that the roses will make it. Hold off on any fertilizer (I use epsom salts and composted cow manure on our roses) until they are well leafed out. They are stressed now, and fertilizer applied now will just stress them further. Think of having a bad cold, and someone wants to feed you a 16 oz. rare steak, a large baked potato, and then apple pie. You wouldn't feel better at all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do think, judging from your photo, that the roses will make it. Hold off on any fertilizer (I use epsom salts and composted cow manure on our roses) until they are well leafed out. They are stressed now, and fertilizer applied now will just stress them further. Think of having a bad cold, and someone wants to feed you a 16 oz. rare steak, a large baked potato, and then apple pie. You wouldn't feel better at all!
How often should I water them and how much? Also can I bring them in the house at night? Also about how long should it take to see a change in the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Do not under any circumstances bring the roses into the house at night! Plants acclimate, get used to the cycle of temperatures, and if you mess with that, they get confused. Leave them outside--you are in Texas and they are not going to be subjected to cold temperatures in May.
When you can stick your forefinger into the soil up to the first knuckle and your finger is dry, water until the water runs out into the trays under the pots. Gardeners learn to use common sense about watering.
I have no idea how long it should take to see a change in your roses. Depending on the weather, where they are situated, and the ambient temperatures, it could take a few days or a month or more. Just keep an eye on them and let them recover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ol
Do not under any circumstances bring the roses into the house at night! Plants acclimate, get used to the cycle of temperatures, and if you mess with that, they get confused. Leave them outside--you are in Texas and they are not going to be subjected to cold temperatures in May.
When you can stick your forefinger into the soil up to the first knuckle and your finger is dry, water until the water runs out into the trays under the pots. Gardeners learn to use common sense about watering.
I have no idea how long it should take to see a change in your roses. Depending on the weather, where they are situated, and the ambient temperatures, it could take a few days or a month or more. Just keep an eye on them and let them recover.
Thank you 4 all your help I greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both bushes did not revive. Dont know if I over watered them or if they were to far gone. Yesterday dug up the roots and there was no sign of life in them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Both bushes did not revive. Dont know if I over watered them or if they were to far gone. Yesterday dug up the roots and there was no sign of life in them.
:cry::cry::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What was the temperature like? I myself would not use terracotta pots for nurturing roots unless in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Live in Wichita Falls Tx., its been in the 90's and 100's since Mothers day. Don't know if any chance but I found the root ball of one plant with top portion of plant, soaked really good with no pot?

Ask a Question