Forum Upgrade

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You may have noticed that the forum looks a little different ;). We've upgraded to XenForo 2.1, which brings some significant improvements to how the forum software works. I'll make a follow-up post in a few days to explain some of these new features.

For the meantime, I'm busy trying to get the forum software working as it should with all of the addons - so there may be the odd bug or two over the coming week. Please let me know if you spot anything out of place and I'll work on fixing it asap :).

Things like hardiness zones, flags, etc... will appear as soon as I've made some tweaks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, I've just logged in and already have a question, sorry!

At the bottom of the page there is a request for permission to enable push notifications, would you explain what they are for me please.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No problem Sheal :D.

Modern browsers (PC, tablet and phone) can now receive "push notifications" from websites - so you'll get an alert when you're using the device. If you often use a mobile device to post, it's particularly handy. I use push notifications so that I get updates when I'm on my PC I don't need to check my e-mails to see a reply.

It's a new feature that will probably be essential for some, but unnecessary for others - it just depends on how you like to get alerts about replies to your threads, etc... It can be disabled or changed once enabled if you don't like it, likewise if you dismiss the notice, it can be enabled at a later date (from here: https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/preferences).

Here's an image from the forum developers showing how "push" notifications work on a phone:

21push2-gif.185013

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One tip, the control box that pops up when I select text to insert a link usually manages to cover the control icons in the top of the text area frame. I would show you, but the copy box disappears when I hit the screenshot control. No biggie, I just space the text down a ways and reset it after the link work is done. The old design had that issue also.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One tip, the control box that pops up when I select text to insert a link usually manages to cover the control icons in the top of the text area frame. I would show you, but the copy box disappears when I hit the screenshot control. No biggie, I just space the text down a ways and reset it after the link work is done. The old design had that issue also.

Which browser are you using @DirtMechanic and I'll see if I can replicate it at this end :).

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ian, the upgrade is really brilliant. At last, I can see what I am typing. Black is best!

The upload is fast - Wow! An eye-opener. Hope the emoji can colours can be a bit more varied and vibrant.

On the whole, 9 out of 10! Thank you, web-designers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I really like the variety of ratings available on another gardening forum. It allows one to be a bit more expressive.

Like, Reply, Informative, Funny, Useful, Creative.

All very useful to the person receiving the rating. :)

Ask a Question