Need urgent help

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a issue with schefflera Arboricola ( dwarf umbrella tree) ... I have big spots on other plant tooo .. I recently repotted it and kept it in indirect light ... also leaves turning black and falling off ... it was so healthy and now even healthy leaves are turning black
372C8652-A481-49F6-8CEF-60CEDE957F12.jpeg
... so now I kept outside in direct sunlight to see if any change... any suggestion ??

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@SherryN , Hello

If I'm not mistaken, Black or Purple leaves or plant stems on schefflera Arboricola usually indicate cold damage. I have seen many reports of black leaves falling down, it may indicate an unhealthy location for the plant: too sunny/not enough sun/too cold/too moist. Sometimes, this may be caused by overwatering. Additionally:
High humidity can cause mold mildew, and rot issues that can cause a plant to turn black as well.

The stem in the picture you send is looking a bit weird, after eliminating all the possibilities I have listed above, I suggest taking a magnifying glass and checking for pests and insects. (Just to be sure, also try incidental soap, maybe those are thrips, although I dought it).

Additionally, here is a forum discussion about similar problems people experience with their schefflera Arboricola, maybe it'll help.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@SherryN , Hello

If I'm not mistaken, Black or Purple leaves or plant stems on schefflera Arboricola usually indicate cold damage. I have seen many reports of black leaves falling down, it may indicate an unhealthy location for the plant: too sunny/not enough sun/too cold/too moist. Sometimes, this may be caused by overwatering. Additionally:
High humidity can cause mold mildew, and rot issues that can cause a plant to turn black as well.

The stem in the picture you send is looking a bit weird, after eliminating all the possibilities I have listed above, I suggest taking a magnifying glass and checking for pests and insects. (Just to be sure, also try incidental soap, maybe those are thrips, although I dought it).

Additionally, here is a forum discussion about similar problems people experience with their schefflera Arboricola, maybe it'll help.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. You are right Definitely I changed my plant to other place and things started from there and soil also remained wet. I did find some kind of fruit flies around the soil so I kept plant outside now as did not want flies in my house. Now I checked my pathos and their stems have something. I am not sure if this any kind of pest. I will try incecticidal soap and see if that changes in my schefflera plant. Thank you very much.
7C23DE1C-5CF8-4B1E-8DFA-748DF23A8AA9.jpeg
44B8C472-9A69-4A51-BB81-C591D21C9CE2.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@SherryN , Hello

I had a few theories connecting the problem you face with fungi, and I think I was right. Here are some solutions and information I composed from my conclusions and some information I found online:

The Schefflera plant isn't affected badly by many pests or diseases, but a few can cause devastating damage. When you see brown spots on the stems or leaves of your schefflera, a couple of likely causes are easy to treat if caught early:

If the problem started at the top:
"Small brown spots spreading from the outside of your leaves down the stems are likely due to Alternaria brown spot. This fungus is fairly aggressive, with your plant showing symptoms as little as two days after infection. The spots might be all brown or have yellow halos around the outer edges. The leaves eventually wilt and drop off if you don't treat the fungus."

If the problem started at the bottom:
"A canker fungus starts at the base of the plant, where the main stem meets the soil, and travels up the stem to branch out along the plant. Canker fungus often attacks scheffleras when the plants are stressed, such as after repotting or when multiple plants in the same pot are separated. After you see symptoms of the canker fungus, it's usually too late to save the plant. However, if you suspect you've weakened the plant or damaged the roots, treating it proactively can help reduce the chances of the problem developing."

Fungi treatment:
When Alternaria brown spot is the problem, especially when only a small area is affected, cut off the affected area and keep the leaves dry to keep the fungus from spreading.

"When treatment is necessary, choose a fungicide, such as iprodione. Mix 2 tablespoons with a gallon of water, then spray or pour the mixture over the entire plant. If you suspect canker fungus, such as when you see the disease on a nearby plant, treat all your scheffleras with a ready-to-use neem spray, coating the stems and leaves."

Could also be:
Most shefflera plants pests hide on the underside of the leaves, making them difficult to notice. Check your leaves at the tips of the stems periodically for small brown or black specks, which could indicate shore flies.

"Scale insects might look like raised brown spots on the bottoms of leaves. Brushing these off with a damp cloth can help relieve the problem. Chemicals don't always get rid of the pests, but spraying a ready-to-use insecticidal soap, such as neem, sometimes makes a difference."

Keeping the leaves dry and the plant healthy can help alleviate the problem.

Good luck, do let us know what worked and how.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you again for your reply. I did use fungicide but since last two days its getting worse. I did not see any bugs under the leaves or on stem. I had to keep the plant away from rest.
9C26899D-3CD0-4D7A-8809-DFC0E3BF718B.jpeg
I did take pic. I feel plant is dying further. This plant was in my house for more than 4 years never had any issue with pest and also I had many other plants. This is first time I am experiencing and trying to learn so much about different diseases about the plant. Seems overwhelming .. sadly I feel like to throw away my schefflera plant. As now I am seeing different spot on my holy basil and mint too. Thanks for your help.
E075F011-AD7D-4C3B-BB51-0B374659AEE1.jpeg
1E6E7B1E-C271-4754-871C-1F718CB0702D.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@SherryN , Hello

Unfortunately, your schefflera Arboricola is indeed getting worse. I think it might be chemical burn or over-watering. Can also be a number of over things:

"A common problem with Schefflera and almost all indoor houseplants is what called “tipping” or simply the tips of the leaves drying out and turning brown. This can be caused by a number of factors including over-watering, chemical burn from too much fertilizer, Root rot, and dry stagnant air. Probably the most common reason your plant is tipping could be in the tap water. Tap water contains salts, chlorine, minerals, and fluoride – all of which can build up in the soil of your plant causing the tips of the leaves to burn and turn brown. One way you can reduce this is to use a water filtration system. If you do not have a filtration system available, leaving the water in an open container overnight before using can help relieve some of the chlorine".

If you have some free time, maybe this article can help a bit.

Good luck

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for your quick response. I will try to use filtered water and see if any changes.. but does this apply to other plants as well like mint or holy basil?? I also heard about hydroxy peroxide good for plants.. should I try it ??

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@SherryN , hello

There are plants that require filtered water, and plants that don't, I'm not quite sure about mint or basil, I suggest looking that up.

Although, I must say that I personally always use filtered water, on ALL of my plants, no matter if they are vegetables, flowers, tap or filtered water plants, cactuses, or even succulent. Of course, this is my choice.
I have a filter, so it's not a problem and costs me almost nothing. For other people it can be expensive or difficult, that's why I'm not urging you to use only filtered water. Although, must say - If you have a filter or something, filtered water can do only good.

I have been watering all my plants with filtered water since forever and never had any problems with that.
With that said, please don't waste money or time because of me, and if a filter is a problem, just filter the water for the plants that require filtered water, and then for the other ones, use regular tap water. I'm just sharing some thoughts.

Now to the second subject, you wrote "hydroxy peroxide", but I guess you meant hydrogen peroxide, yes?
Anyway, Hydrogen peroxide helps encourage healthy root growth because of the extra oxygen molecule. Oxygen can help plant roots absorb nutrients from the soil. And as a bonus, hydrogen peroxide can help discourage unwanted bacteria/fungi that may be lurking in the garden. Although remember that almost anything in large quantities can be harmful, even this, so be careful.

I'll be honest, even if the soil has enough oxygen (You can check that using a variety of instruments and analyzers), I think you can add a bit, it can only help the plat. BUT! before that, check the plant's soil, (maybe there is no need to add anything), check the plant for what specific soil is better, and of course, do not use too much hydroxy peroxide, this can kill your plant.

Here's an article I found about hydrogen peroxide usage, maybe you'll find it helpful:

Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for your insight about the filtered water and (hydroxy ) hydrogen peroxide... Lol.. Typo ... anyway I will try to use this as well as a last option. It’s hard to watch plants die

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I agree, good luck.

P.S

I just noticed you said it's started with the schefflera Arboricola, and then appeared on the mint and on the basil, so just to be safe, I suggest moving them to a different area, quarantine them just in case it's pests or fungi or anything else that can move or spread.
I think it's not, but better be safe than sorry.

Ask a Question