Need help with pepper identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have many many types of peppers growing and I know what most of them are but to my surprise two of what I thought were jalapeños are not. These two plants look like jalapeños when there tiny but than grow into this. This is two different plants and both have two different kinds of peppers. All I can tell you is there’s a ton of each on the plants like 30-40 on each plant. They don’t taste all that great it tastes like grass.

Attachments

• 057EA8EF-30E8-4D06-B583-C31141D184A1.jpeg
    057EA8EF-30E8-4D06-B583-C31141D184A1.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 8EC4DF37-50EC-4122-A9E3-FF3EEE4FCC09.jpeg
    8EC4DF37-50EC-4122-A9E3-FF3EEE4FCC09.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Country
United States
Upon some quick google searches it looks like they could be poblano and Anaheim respectively can someone more experienced than myself confirm that?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The 1st pic looks like poblano for the first two, but the last one looks more like jalapeno, so that one is iffy to me. 2nd pic could also be Anaheim as well. Are the "poblanos" hollow-feeling when you gently squeeze, or full and solid like a jalapeno? Also, have you left any of either on the plant long enough to see a color change? The last question of yours makes me feel like they may be underripe, hence the grassy flavor. Poblanos are usually a lot bigger that what the 1st pic looks like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The 1st pic looks like poblano for the first two, but the last one looks more like jalapeno, so that one is iffy to me. 2nd pic could also be Anaheim as well. Are the "poblanos" hollow-feeling when you gently squeeze, or full and solid like a jalapeno? Also, have you left any of either on the plant long enough to see a color change? The last question of yours makes me feel like they may be underripe, hence the grassy flavor. Poblanos are usually a lot bigger that what the 1st pic looks like.
They are incredibly hollow (the poblanos that is they aren’t nearly as meaty as jalapeños and less seeds as well. The walls of the pepper are incredibly thin compared to most other peppers I’ve seen. I have not seen any color change but I also didn’t know what they were or what they should look like when I picked them cause I wasn’t 100% sure of there type. There’s plenty plenty more on the plants to check for color change coming up though for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I believe they are poblanos, just need more time to grow and thicken an develop flavor is all. I've had them each year except this one. You'll see some bend/distort a bit as they grow which is normal.

Ask a Question