Need help growing habanero peppers

Reaction score
Country
United States

I bought this habanero plant from Home Depot about 6 weeks ago.

I understand that it takes about 90 days until it produces peppers.

I could use some tips.

Like should I be pruning it?

It is located on a patio, so I bring it in at night and place it under a led grow light.

Something occasionally eats part of the leaves. But it isn't much.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you fertilize with a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer, you will get nothing but leaves (from experience).

If your patio has good sun coverage, don't put it under an LED at night, I think the dark/light cycle is necessary.

Pruning isn't a thing for peppers, AFAIK.

Don't handle hot peppers and then rub your eyes (or go #1 @ the potty) w/o washing your hands first.

Plant looks good IMO. Watch for folded leaves. It's either a spider (leave alone) or a worm about to eat you plant.

That's all i'm confident in saying.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with pepperhead don't fertilize, because that will stop pepper production. Peppers like growing in hot temperatures and some people even grow them using 24hr light cycles indoors. I never grow any indoor plants 24 hours without resting periods. I think it would be best for flower production to allow 8 hrs of darkness every night. Sun is the very best light source you can use for peppers. Your pepper plant looks good.

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
I’ve had zero issues with Habaneros. I will lightly fertilize once near the end of the growing season. (End of Summer, A splash of Miracle Grow during one watering.) Habaneros and Cayenne peppers are some of the easiest peppers I have ever grown. Water and Sunlight, enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had zero issues with Habaneros. I will lightly fertilize once near the end of the growing season. (End of Summer, A splash of Miracle Grow during one watering.) Habaneros and Cayenne peppers are some of the easiest peppers I have ever grown. Water and Sunlight, enjoy!
Thanks.

I added a little bone meal which is supposed to help produce more fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Less watering more heat more watering less heat. Add worm casting. Full sun.

I can not have full sun because I use a covered patio. It probably gets about 2 hrs of full sun.

That is why I bought a grow bulb. But I was told not to use it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was always told tons of heat, light is obviously important but heat is one of the best things for peppers. I am experimenting with seed started habaneros right now and have seen a drastic change since giving them heat

Ask a Question