Cucumber leaves: Need I panic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My cucumber plants have started showing spots. The plants seem healthy, have lots of flowers and are producing very nice cucumbers. How much should I panic about these spots? Any wisdom appreciated. Thank you.
8CBDAACA-EBB4-4033-82F2-822AD8CC9B56_1_105_c.jpeg
1CA89B3D-D410-42D7-8926-FA76C283DDC1_1_105_c.jpeg
E31A6057-707D-41EC-94CB-91BE4062136C_1_105_c.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@gfrederickk, hello

I had a similar problem with my cucumbers about a month ago, I'll present my solution (assuming my diagnosis is correct. although, do try and find someone that can give you a second opinion on the matter presented).
In my case, When I addressed the problem in a thread here, the main answers I got were:

1. Powdery mildew fungi
2 Pests (Thrips maybe)

I tried using insecticidal soap, but it did not do much. after a few weeks, I have noticed that the plant grew a lot of new leaves, and they were okay + the flowering process was completely fine, and cucumbers appeared to be normal.

I suggest trying the insecticidal soap and/or other treatments you find more effective.
Against the Powdery mildew, I think you can make a home-made substance (made out of baking soda or something, not sure) - that may help.

If you want, you can read the thread I made about the problem, and see if it's similar to your case, and if you want to try the methods suggested there.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@gfrederickk, hello

I had a similar problem with my cucumbers about a month ago, I'll present my solution (assuming my diagnosis is correct. although, do try and find someone that can give you a second opinion on the matter presented).
In my case, When I addressed the problem in a thread here, the main answers I got were:

1. Powdery mildew fungi
2 Pests (Thrips maybe)

I tried using insecticidal soap, but it did not do much. after a few weeks, I have noticed that the plant grew a lot of new leaves, and they were okay + the flowering process was completely fine, and cucumbers appeared to be normal.

I suggest trying the insecticidal soap and/or other treatments you find more effective.
Against the Powdery mildew, I think you can make a home-made substance (made out of baking soda or something, not sure) - that may help.

If you want, you can read the thread I made about the problem, and see if it's similar to your case, and if you want to try the methods suggested there.

Good luck.
Thank you Yinon. I appreciate your feedback. I've seen a few thrips but not many. I think it the mildew is more likely. I'm going to give the baking soda mixture a try.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked at your plants @gfrederickk I can`t for the life of me see any mildew (and I have my glasses on)
If I had a couple of cucumber plants that looked as well as yours, I would certainly not panic - in fact I might even be tempted to throw a party :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Having looked at your plants @gfrederickk I can`t for the life of me see any mildew (and I have my glasses on)
If I had a couple of cucumber plants that looked as well as yours, I would certainly not panic - in fact I might even be tempted to throw a party :joyful:

I remember how you told me not to panic when I first joined the forum and presented the question of the "rice looking" white spots on cucumbers. Thank God I listened to your advice: "Let nature get on with it" you said. The second patch of cucumbers is doing great, it's huge, and I can already see tiny cucumbers the size of a half index finger. Unfortunately, the first patch was attacked by 7 huge fat green caterpillars that destroyed almost a third of the plant, and now, the poor thing is under attack by hungry brown aphids. Had to intervene.
I hope the plant will be able to recover. Almost all flowers have fallen, and no young cucumbers insight, probably because the plant did not have enough strength to bear fruit because of the recent battles. Anyway, Thank you @Tetters. (Got a bit carried away with me stories didn't I ?)

Ask a Question