Need Tool Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am starting a 4x8 raised bed vegetable garden, and I am planning on growing radishes, kale, lettuce, and spinach. What tools would I need to uphold my garden, and where is the best place to buy them from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are garden tool sets on amazon, and I imagine the garage sale websites like ebay and craigslist or marketplace may have this and that as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
DirtMechanic mentioned good choices and often for best quality and cost, if available a local flea market etc. where old tools of good quality are sometimes found. The gardening Trowel would be a first if I were choosing. Fiskars has a set of 3 and Fiskars may be a little more expensive but better quality that the one i pitched in the recycle bin a few days ago that bent easily like a soup can lid.

I'll never find one better that the one pictured that belonged to the wife's grandmother. I did make a new Bodark wood handle for it a few years ago, so if left outdoors again by mistake the handle will still be good for another hundred years.

Attachments

• Trowel ll - 2017.JPG
    Trowel ll - 2017.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
DirtMechanic mentioned good choices and often for best quality and cost, if available a local flea market etc. where old tools of good quality are sometimes found. The gardening Trowel would be a first if I were choosing. Fiskars has a set of 3 and Fiskars may be a little more expensive but better quality that the one i pitched in the recycle bin a few days ago that bent easily like a soup can lid.

I'll never find one better that the one pictured that belonged to the wife's grandmother. I did make a new Bodark wood handle for it a few years ago, so if left outdoors again by mistake the handle will still be good for another hundred years.
One never knows, they may find a stainless steel trowel like made probably 30 years ago guaranteed to last a few generations. I use both because they have slightly different profiles.

Attachments

• Trowl - gardening - 4-15-21.JPG
    Trowl - gardening - 4-15-21.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
A garden knife...absolutely a garden knife. Several are on amazon. I find it to be the most used tool for years.

And for long handled tools, I prefer wood handles. The design on many non-wooden handles means you can"t replace a handle. Trust me....fiberglass and plastic handles both can break. But then...I have even bent one of these:

:mad::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I need a garden knife. Or maybe a long sharpened trowel. Any recommendations?

I'll take a picture of the one's I have. I don't think anyone carries them anymore. I like the one serrrated edge, measuring tool on the blade, and stout construction. I've been using them about 6 years now. Can't remember what I did before. I can even use the serrated edge like a chopping blade cutting down banana trees before a frost in the fall. I'll post pics next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey Dirt Mechanic.
Some back scratcher that:D
My wife's Father passed that along in his Estate. I understand why he liked it. I have found one similiar, but the widthe of tine seems greater and the length more apt to pull you under a bush. Dewit makes other interesting tools as well.
Screenshot_20210418-214330.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are the garden knives we have. We have been using them daily for 5-6 years now. I think they came from Menards but that might be wrong.

Attachments

• Garden Knives.jpg
    Garden Knives.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I picked up this Fiskars knife at Home Depot. Used it for planting cowhorn and chili pepper plants and some 3 odd butterfly fly bushes DW wanted near the garden today. Good for opening roots up, as well cutting containers.

Ask a Question