Pruning assistance needed :)

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hello fellow plant lovers,
I'll try to keep it short. I have this avocado it's about 4 years old. I have never pruned it until today, I snipped the top off (10cm). Now I have this almost 150cm tall giant and I can't let it grow any taller. I know it's spring and it's not good for pruning..
It has a very long main trunk with the first set of branches almost 2 feet of the ground and the next set 1 foot away from that (branchings marked with yellow in the first photo).
My question is this: Can I make this into a shorter more bushy plant by cutting the main trunk just above the 2nd or 1st set of branches? (I know that would mean to cut almost half of the tree) If not, what to cut to make it more bushy?
I am a new guy at pruning, so I hope you understand my silly questions. :D Also the tree is a double tree, you can see that it has a second stem with 4 branches branching out not even a foot of the ground. Suggestions on what to do with that?

I am thankful to all those reading and hope to get help. Peace. :)
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This plant really wants to be a big tree, and is one that is very difficult to keep as a small house plant. It is leggy like that because it does not have sufficient light. It is searching for sunshine. i think pruning should have been started much sooner than 4 years.
I`m not sure I would trouble with it if it were mine, but at least I would cut it down to half the height and shape it a bit - then just see how it behaves after that.
Although I have no idea about your weather there I would try to put your plant outside in the sunshine as much as possible and hope for the best - then it might like a bigger pot.

Really though - your plant wants to be like this
1617744768869.png
it might be a good idea to choose something different for indoors :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that’s really cool! I don’t know why the above comment is judging you, it is hard to prune a plant that you have worked hard to grow. I would recommend the same, cutting the plant down and putting it in an area that gets a lot of light. I might even recommend cutting it twice—once above the first set of branches and again above the second. You can try to propagate the pieces you cut off, leaving you with three avocado trees that will grow more dense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually, for you Spring is the best time to prune. It will have the whole warm summer to grow. I do agree with Tetters that it would prefer to be in full sun whenever your temperatures are above 40F. If the branches are bare when it starts to get sun after the winter, paint it with white latex paint mixed 50/50 with water. It's what they do in the groves around here. A bigger pot will help, just don't disturb the roots when you repot. After 4 years there are probably plenty of Calcium, Sodium and Magnesium salts in the soil which Avocados are sensitive to. A good leaching will remove them and help the plant. To leach - put the plant in the bathtub or outside, fill the pot with water, let it drain until it stops dripping and repeat 2 more times. When it stops dripping the last time you can put it where you want it.

Ask a Question