Need Tool Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United States
With 32 sq ft. you don't need much. A shovel, rake, and maybe a weed puller. You can buy all sorts of fancy stuff but if you go to a few garage sales you will be able to find the fancy stuff in almost new condition plus the shovel and rake which will be well worn. Pay attention to the soil more than the tools. Without good soil and nutrition, you won't need tools because you won't have much of a crop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a small plot like that, and with a raised bed, I would probably use an onion hoe quite a bit to take out weeds. Small fork and trowel sets are pretty common, but it is worth checking how the blade attaches to the handle, that seems to be the place they usually go. Check out the pictures above, the trowel that belonged to someones grandparent has a good solid bar welded to the blade, watch out for the blade shaped to fit the handle, often cheap, thin metal, and the blade attached by a couple of quick spot welds. You could probably get by never using a full size fork and spade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
what type of clay are you using for your garden?
Ultisol. Udult series. We had 6 inches of rain last week in one day. I think we manage 60+ inches annually. It leaches every liming agent out and leaves an acid clay capable of aluminum solvent toxicity. Red like the girl of your dreams from the iron ore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Any time I get the opportunity to purchase old tools of good quality I do as you, grab it before another individual does because those opportunities aren't often.

Ask a Question