Need advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
So a few weeks ago we bought a beautiful Shantung maple. The company came and planted it which they did a wonderful job. So first everything seemed fine, it was blooming and the leaves started to fill up the tree but then we had a few days of rain and now most of the leaves look like this. They looked like this before our freeze night before last, too.
The soil we have is all clay and honestly the worst I have ever come across. The tree is sitting on a high point of the yard, we have drainage problems too due to poor grading.
I've read Maples can do well in clay soil so I need some advice on what may be causing the leaves to do this and how to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200405_093558.jpg
    20200405_093558.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
So a few weeks ago we bought a beautiful Shantung maple. The company came and planted it which they did a wonderful job. So first everything seemed fine, it was blooming and the leaves started to fill up the tree but then we had a few days of rain and now most of the leaves look like this. They looked like this before our freeze night before last, too.
The soil we have is all clay and honestly the worst I have ever come across. The tree is sitting on a high point of the yard, we have drainage problems too due to poor grading.
I've read Maples can do well in clay soil so I need some advice on what may be causing the leaves to do this and how to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.

In the first instance, I would suggest you e-mail the company from which you bought it and politely say "you're concerned about it." and include that photo. Then come back on the board with their response, if they don't resolve your problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shantung maple. require a pH of 5.6 to 6.0 (acidic) or 6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic) and it looks like your soil may be too alkaline for that Acer. A soil test could match the pH with the plants to be sure. Its always a good choice to have your soil tested at least once if you plan on planting plants or a lawn. I agree with Sean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The leaves really don’t look that bad. If they were brown all over, then there would be cause for great concern but they’re only a little purplish so give it some time.

Ask a Question