Need Advice. Passion flower leaves do not look normal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello guys! I have three Passion flowers, the passiflora Caerulea that I grew from seed, they germinated on June 7th of this year, but the leaves don't look like how the passion flowers usually look, with three or four lobes or prongs on the leaves. When they were first growing I did not mind thinking maybe their leaves will change later but as they are growing the leaves are still the same, the new growth does not look different and right now I'm wondering if the leaves should have changed by now or when they would change. They are currently indoors climbing my blinds as you can see from the pictures was afraid they wouldn't do well outside since it was first winter and they didn't establish themselves before the first frost. Any thoughts of the leaves changing? Would love to get feedback^^

Attachments

• 20191129_085849.jpg
    20191129_085849.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20191225_081548.jpg
    20191225_081548.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 175
  • 20191231_094654.jpg
    20191231_094654.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Found out something though, not sure if it makes any difference but on the seed package says it can be grown indoors year round, perhaps a different type? but still don't know about the leaves. Definitely going to bring them outside for spring though, for them to climb a real support structure :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They're just young and will change as they get older. Great job growing them indoors, I think they're doing quite well:D

Happy plant parenting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would say they seem highly unlikely to be passionflowers, because they are too big to still have juvenile leaves and I have never seen leaves like that on a passionflower anyway. I grow Caerulea and two types of Maypops - all outdoors and also in zone 7a. BTW: where are you? Maybe we are neighbors. If you cut it back and preferably get it to go dormant, then allow it shoot from the soil next year, the leaves should start out as regular passionflower leaves. Like in the photo. If not, it is not passionflower. BTW: They are new ones I bought from One Green World this year. If you buy passionflower plants on line be very careful. Phone and query them first about what you will get. These were superbly packaged and started shooting within a few days. A supposedly "similar" one I bought from Burpee was worthless - a tiny tuft of hair roots stuffed in some loose potting soil in a 4 inch pot that was extemely poorly packaged and all fallen out of the pot. It did not survive. And it was only $2 less! They never even responded to my email to customer service. BTW 2: The Yellow Passion Vine is hardly in zones 5 - 10. It's a miniature passionflower, but very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey thanks for replying I'm in zone 7a, I actually seen some of the leaves change slightly since putting them out this year but the leaves are just split a little with two but only in a few of its leaves. I do want to see for next year when the leaves shoot from the ground and see if it will be three prongs and for it to be throughout the stem like how its supposed to look. I am also considering buying one that is a littlemature and that I will know, that is a passion flower and will have the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey thanks for replying I'm in zone 7a, I actually seen some of the leaves change slightly since putting them out this year but the leaves are just split a little with two but only in a few of its leaves. I do want to see for next year when the leaves shoot from the ground and see if it will be three prongs and for it to be throughout the stem like how its supposed to look. I am also considering buying one that is a littlemature and that I will know, that is a passion flower and will have the leaves.
Sorry for the late reply - forum notification went into spam folder. I'm in West Richland, WA. I recommend One Green World if you do buy more mature Passionflowers next year. The photos were about 2 weeks after receiving the dormant plants - still in their original pots. The Caerulea photos were from last year and also from a new One Green World plant. It grew very fast outdoors, but the weather was not as weird as this year. Those Blooms were over 5 ft from the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey thank you so much and yeah I will look them up, I definitely would like to have a mature one as well. Also don't worry about the time frame, it's all good:) I was about to buy the actual fruit at one point but unsure which type I was going to get from seed, probably would be the one famous for bearing edible fruit, the Edulis Lol I know that's probably a good passion flower too but haven't done a lot of research on it zone wise. Although I will mostly still keep those others I have, Lol I want to see them through some way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here is some of the leave changes of my plant so you guys can see it, I hope it shows up well.
20200622_182422.jpg
20200622_183513.jpg
20200622_183429.jpg
20200622_183413.jpg
20200622_182448.jpg
20200622_182414.jpg
20200622_183345.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question