Need advice on planting roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of different kinds of roses that I got last year and put them into 10 litre pots since I didn't have a garden at the time to plant them in, but I've recently moved to somewhere with a south facing garden where I can plant them, unfortunately while moving them I lost nearly all the labels except for a few and half of them are climbers, the place I'm going to plant them would only work for bushes rather than climbers because there's no support for them to grow up, would it be best to just leave them in the pots this year and identify them when they are in flower in the summer then make a note and plant them accordingly next year? Its just that it would have been nice to have them in the garden this year but if it's best to wait then I will

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Actually could I still plant them and dig them up next winter to reposition them after I've identified what type they are? I'm new to roses so I don't know if that would be bad for them or not

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
How many roses do you have @Panda ? If you can take pictures of them for us we may be able to distinguish between the climbers and shrubs for you.

I would do as you suggested and plant them now. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
How many roses do you have @Panda ? If you can take pictures of them for us we may be able to distinguish between the climbers and shrubs for you.

Great thanks I'll take pics tomorrow morning, I have 14 different kinds they don't have much growth on them through I pruned them in mid winter so it might be hard to tell

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Roses will grow quite well in pots/containers. I'd suggest at least 15Ltrs. Regarding supports etc. Even growing in containers, various cane and trellis can be provided. If planted in the garden a trellis can be sustituted with a stout pole and the rose then grown as a pillar rose, this can often add to the general layout and display similar to having the odd standard rose in amongst a mixed bed/border.

Roses will tolerate quire a bit of misuse etc but perhaps exercising some TLC will pay off. Even container/potted roses/plants can still be planted by simply digging a hole large enought to accomadate both plant and pot. A rip on potted etc all plants. Use a label and also mark the container say with a number, which hopefully you will keep a reference.

Now in many cases of plant growth etc. The actual stems often tell a story of sorts. The spacing of leaf joints, bush types will have the leavef joints closer together, climbers and ramblers the leaf joints will be farther apart. Finally please remember, containerized plants require more attention to watering and feeding. Come wintertime, containers will benefit from some kind of insulaton. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_110038.jpg
    IMG_20190224_110038.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20190224_110108.jpg
    IMG_20190224_110108.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20190224_110121.jpg
    IMG_20190224_110121.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20190224_110132.jpg
    IMG_20190224_110132.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20190224_110144.jpg
    IMG_20190224_110144.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a rough idea what they could be? I was planning on planting them tomorrow or Tuesday when its dry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Panda but to be honest there is no way of telling which is which. & I spent a few years working at a rose Nursery. Wish I could help. As far as Positioning They love the Sun best & will be fine up against a wall .............Better for climbers but I'm sure your aware of that. Sorry I cant I D them for you. I'd suggest waiting a bit to see which ones put on the fastest growth then Place them by a wall or fence & treat the slower ones for Bushes. If any turn out to be in the wrong position Dig them up next winter & replant in a better location. Winter is always best for moving roses (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Panda but to be honest there is no way of telling which is which. & I spent a few years working at a rose Nursery. Wish I could help. As far as Positioning They love the Sun best & will be fine up against a wall .............Better for climbers but I'm sure your aware of that. Sorry I cant I D them for you. I'd suggest waiting a bit to see which ones put on the fastest growth then Place them by a wall or fence & treat the slower ones for Bushes. If any turn out to be in the wrong position Dig them up next winter & replant in a better location. Winter is always best for moving roses (y)

Ok no worries, I'll do that then plant them and move them in the winter if need be, just wasn't sure how well roses transplanted (still new to them) but I get the gist now that they are quite tolerant of it, cheers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom

I'm nearly finished planting now but the last two would be planted near the sewage drain pipe, should I probably avoid planting them there and just plant some annuals with shallow roots there instead incase the rose roots over time damage the pipe? The man hole for the drain is beside where the rooster is standing

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_132847.jpg
    IMG_20190225_132847.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm nearly finished planting now but the last two would be planted near the sewage drain pipe, should I probably avoid planting them there and just plant some annuals with shallow roots there instead incase the rose roots over time damage the pipe? The man hole for the drain is beside where the rooster is standing
Rose roots don't normally Damage Pipes. At least I've Never come across Such Damage. But if your Digging near it be carful not to damage it your self(y). By the way the drain pipes will be vary Deep in the ground You will see how deep it is if you lift the man hole. Rose roots are never more than a 15-18inchs deep max

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Rose roots don't normally Damage Pipes. At least I've Never come across Such Damage. But if your Digging near it be carful not to damage it your self(y). By the way the drain pipes will be vary Deep in the ground You will see how deep it is if you lift the man hole. Rose roots are never more than a 15-18inchs deep max

Ah perfect :) also I forgot to ask when do you need to start applying aphid spray and black spot spray as a preventative? Just so I know whether to get some now or to wait, is there a type that won't harm bees if you spray it at night

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Organic now so don't Spray If I get an attack of aphids I just leave them to the ladybirds & ants to deal with. black spot is something that tends to get on the rose leave as the season progressive...............ie July onwards they tend to get worse towards the end of the season & to be honest I've never seen a spray that really works well against it. Rose Clear is the best on the market & most popular but it contains acetimiprid and triticonazole. The first is a synthetic neo nicotinoid, the second a fungicide. Its the Second that worrying most people right now & is the biggest problem as it has been linked to massive drops in Bee populations & also Bird life & others like Butterfly's. My advice with black spot is to pick off the infected leaves and any that have fallen on the earth bellow as it gets in to the soil then is taken back up by the plant roots. Its the best method by far and dose not have a detrimental affect on wild life. So if your brave save your money & go organic the plants & wild life will thank you for it & it works (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Also is there
I'm Organic now so don't Spray If I get an attack of aphids I just leave them to the ladybirds & ants to deal with. black spot is something that tends to get on the rose leave as the season progressive...............ie July onwards they tend to get worse towards the end of the season & to be honest I've never seen a spray that really works well against it. Rose Clear is the best on the market & most popular but it contains acetimiprid and triticonazole. The first is a synthetic neo nicotinoid, the second a fungicide. Its the Second that worrying most people right now & is the biggest problem as it has been linked to massive drops in Bee populations & also Bird life & others like Butterfly's. My advice with black spot is to pick off the infected leaves and any that have fallen on the earth bellow as it gets in to the soil then is taken back up by the plant roots. Its the best method by far and dose not have a detrimental affect on wild life. So if your brave save your money & go organic the plants & wild life will thank you for it & it works (y)

I was thinking of trying the organic way too, I'm planning on planting coriander or parsley in between the roses to attract ladybirds, I've heard neem oil is harmless to beneficial insects too might give it a go, thanks for all the info learned alot :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I wasn't here yesterday Panda but Daren has answered your questions for you.

I can take a guess at a couple of your roses but there's not enough growth on them to be certain. You'll be able to look forward to the surprises later in the year. :)

Ask a Question