Advice needed for tiny West facing walled space. 9b

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any help is appreciated. Zone 9b
New apartment has a tiny 9’x7’ patio that includes a 1.5’ strip of gravel. Walls on all sides are at least 5’ so only the right half gets direct sun and only for 2 hours of blazing afternoon heat.

I already have some potted plants from my last place but would like to fill the space with plants that will actually thrive in these conditions and fill out the space. What would you recommend?

Plants I have:
Spearmint
Peppermint
Catnip
Heuchera
Irish moss
Blue salvia
Creeping jenny
Japanese forest grass (he’s not happy)
Button fern
Boston fern
Fuchsia (hanging)

Additionally I have a cat that likes to nibble.

Attachments

• 83ACE444-5547-455E-9BD9-3B3DD4A3C8EA.jpeg
    83ACE444-5547-455E-9BD9-3B3DD4A3C8EA.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 182
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello! That space has a lot of potential. Were it mine, I would make myself a cooling space. I could see a canopy of green leaves, maybe from a fast grower that is large like a watermelon, or wisteria or other dangly flowers or fruit or both. In the winter it could be gone or dormant for the potted plants to get a less hot sun.. I could see using shelving style support of course so its not permanent and the top shelves could hold the pots for the canopy vines. Something like a green outdoor room with a green roof.

Ask a Question