My poor lemon tree!

Reaction score
If it wasn't dark outside, I would take a picture. I have this lemon tree I bought over 2 years ago, and it never drew bigger! I fertilized it, and it fruited a couple of times. In the fall/winter it didn't fruit, but there are blossoms on it now. The leaves look awful, and new ones grow, but it just stays the same size. I think a gopher got to it when it was young and stunted it. Is that possible? I saw holes near it and thought maybe the gopher ate the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it wasn't dark outside, I would take a picture. I have this lemon tree I bought over 2 years ago, and it never drew bigger! I fertilized it, and it fruited a couple of times. In the fall/winter it didn't fruit, but there are blossoms on it now. The leaves look awful, and new ones grow, but it just stays the same size. I think a gopher got to it when it was young and stunted it. Is that possible? I saw holes near it and thought maybe the gopher ate the roots?
A gopher? Maybe but doubtful. Send pics from all sides of the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Is it potted or is it directly planted in the ground?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This phenomenon is not restricted to your area. Lemon trees despite their acidity are susceptible to thrips, viruses and spider mites. I live in the tropics and it seems that farmers have abandoned growing lemon trees making the fruits to be pricey. If one plants a lemon tree, it grows for a short time and then wilts and dries at a certain stage. Your post has rekindled my interest in lemon farming.

Ask a Question