Sloping hill+poor soil= weeds and not much grass

CRS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
The property I live on slopes and then levels out at the bottom. The problem I am having is getting good grass to grow as the run-off can be bad sometimes....loosing top soil and exposing lots of rocky areas. The previous owner tried to plant grass and when heavy rains came it washed the seeds down hill along with the soil he disked with the tractor.

So now I am trying to fix this. I have 2 horses whom of which I just isolated to a section of the pasture until I get grass growing good. I have been taking old hay off of round bales and spreading it in areas of bad water collections and in areas of new growth in hopes this would help hold some of the soil and provide an "incubator" to the bermuda grass that seems to be trying to make a come back. I have also been spreading horse manure.

Am I going in the right direction with this? I realize that I may have to bring in good soil from elsewhere....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi CRS :)...how much of a slope are we talking about here. Could you post a photo for us please.
I`m wondering if the area could be levelled out - which might be better for the horses as well as retaining the soil and the grass seed more efficiently.

CRS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!:) its not a severe slope, it's maybe 10-15 degree slope. Photo 0529171352 is the beginning of the slope.

Attachments

• 0529171352.jpg
    0529171352.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 0529171352a.jpg
    0529171352a.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which ever way you look at it, it is going to be a very big job. Can you build a retaining barrier of some kind at a comfortable distance from the top, and dig out the top of the slope to put at the bottom end, and continue down the slope in the same way to make big ''steps''
The other thing is to sow the grass seed at a time when the heavy rains are not so likely, because once the roots form a good strong system it should help to retain the soil.
Timing will be important.
The other thing that would worry me is just how much rock do you have to deal with underneath there :unsure:

CRS

Reaction score
Country
United States
You mean like create terraces? I don't think that would be to hard to do. The ground is actually very hard to break through unless it rains good:/ when we had contractors trying to dig for a well they were digging through large amounts of rock!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that rock has to be a big part of the problem for the grass. You need to retain the soil you have, and improve it ( as you are doing with the horse muck.....as long as it is well rotted muck ) and the other requirement for the grass is decent drainage. :unsure:
If you could think about channelling the rainwater when it does fall by making places for it to follow - like a shallow rocky fall, you could possibly dig out a dam at the bottom end of the slope which could be an asset for the horses.

CRS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I could make something like that work. Theirs already areas that are like the drainage pathways your talking about. I could just elaborate on those...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes! and if the water is all directed to a well prepared dam at the bottom - it would be a good alternative to a well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really hope it all works out. Please would you keep us updated as you make progress :rolleyes:

Ask a Question