Ivy in poor soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a pin oak and need ground cover underneath. The soil is poor -- heavy clay with a somewhat sandy surface, probably where sand was dumped during the building of the house over 20 years ago. Anyway, I have no inclination to amend the soil -- too many other projects on the burner. I have a little ivy (English, I believe) and want to transplant it to this location. What's my likelihood of success?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Okay, okay. I'll add peat moss and compost later this week. Gotta transplant that ivy before it starts growing too fast in it's current location. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I added peat and garden soil with compost to a small section of the area that needs ground cover and transplanted English ivy from my back yard. After 3 days, everything looks good. I was concerned about transplanting ivy in August in Mississippi, but I guess ivy truly is impossible to kill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
What about some Heuchera Alchemilla or Ajuga all much nicer than Ivy ( in my opinion ) and all quite easy to grow.

Ask a Question