Poor summer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the U K we seem to be fast approaching Autumn, summer seems to have passed us by, with such varied weather conditions many plants seem to be suffering from the lack of sunshine and wind damage. We have some white Antirhinum's mixed with Heliotrope common name cherry pie, the Heliotrope are fine but the Antirhinums have been devastated by the wind, so a bit disappointed with that. Petunias seem to have gone to pot so have been removing them and just to throw another spanner in the works it's turned so much colder and my wife is suggesting we light the log burner. On a plus side the lawns hedges and evergreen shrubs are growing vigorously so plenty to do pruning and mowing, may I suggest the good lady come outside and help with the mowing etc to keep warm then I can save lighting log burner until later, Laugh out Loud

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It has been the same here in the Northeast US. An unusually cool summer with a lot of rain. By now we should have so many tomatoes that the neighbors are avoiding us so as not to take anymore. Instead, we have harvested about 6 tiny cherry tomatoes so far. Our beefsteak tomatoes are the size of golf and tennis balls, the Brandywines and San Marzanos half their usual size, and all are still a deep green. Only a few look like they may be beginning to lighten up. Yes, the grass is green, green as it was in the Spring. Usually by now, there is a crunching noise emitting from underfoot when walking across the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Same here in the upper Midwest! My flowers and perennials are doing fine but the veggie garden has been crap. Green beans (runner and bush) have just sort of limped along. Tomato production way down...even the sweet 100s which usually produce like crazy. Planted a couple of spaghetti squash plants, tons of flowers but only one little squash, now the size of a baseball. Something ate all the collard and kale, and the chard, which usually I can harvest lots of from mid summer onwards, is just limping along.

And I bought two six packs of cosmos because I love cosmos. Grow some every year. The shorter variety flowered just great but the tall ones...grew tall, but not one single bud! :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Guess we have to put it down to global warming, the seasons definately seem all out of sync.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Here also. It was a cold June and part of July. It's hot now, but the nights are cold. A little crop! Poorly growing zucchini and pumpkin. There was little pea. Corn is weak. Now I can preserve only cucumbers. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
This is interesting to learn that the weather is exhibiting similar characteristics in so many different parts of the world.I would be interested to hear from people in other countries around the world too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's been cold and rainy, but the garden, for some unknown reason, has been doing pretty well. Broccoli and Cauliflower are the only things that are not forming heads. Lots of HUGE leaves on everything,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is interesting to learn that the weather is exhibiting similar characteristics in so many different parts of the world.I would be interested to hear from people in other countries around the world too.
Here in Jacksonville Florida, it's been a great summer, with good rains. Lovin' it:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our summer was less hot than usual--just a few days at 100 or above. In August we had a cool spell with temps in the 80's and low 90's daytime, and in the high 60's and low 70's nighttime. I can't remember a time when we could have the house windows open in August!
We had a bumper crop of tomatoes, and have hopes of a smaller fall crop. We had lots of green beans, some corn, no peas, and good broccoli, lettuce, carrots, onions. The bell peppers are still producing.
I can't blame the weather for the crop failures (corn, peas, etc.) because I changed suppliers and the seed had a lousy germination rate, if it came up at all. We had adequate rain so I did less watering than usual.
It will be interesting to see what our fall garden does.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This summer has been miserable. There was a terribly hot spell which killed some of my plants and then there isn't enough heat to get my dahlias going. The only good thing is that I can actually work in the garden. Before, I kept ducking the heat and the sun. Today, I have been out until 4pm when it drizzled a tiny bit. I also planted cosmos cupcake.. Ooops someone must have taken a shine to the cupcake(s).. None for me!

On the plus side, I only used metered water for 3 days. The rest I have managed to have some rainwater. I used to panic like hell and felt guilty like a bad mother who neglect her thirsty offsprings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our summer was less hot than usual--just a few days at 100 or above. In August we had a cool spell with temps in the 80's and low 90's daytime, and in the high 60's and low 70's nighttime. I can't remember a time when we could have the house windows open in August!
We had a bumper crop of tomatoes, and have hopes of a smaller fall crop. We had lots of green beans, some corn, no peas, and good broccoli, lettuce, carrots, onions. The bell peppers are still producing.
I can't blame the weather for the crop failures (corn, peas, etc.) because I changed suppliers and the seed had a lousy germination rate, if it came up at all. We had adequate rain so I did less watering than usual.
It will be interesting to see what our fall garden does.

Lol. It's all relative I know, but "cool spell" in the same sentence as "80s and low 90's" sort of cracks me up. :D

I'm a cold weather baby; anything over 70 is too hot for my comfort level and I am not kidding. I go outside in the snow barefoot and keep my winter thermostat at 62F. I deal with summer, work outside a lot and appreciate it for what it does for the garden, but otherwise hate it.

It's an individual metabolism thing. :) Nights are dipping into the 40s and sunny days in the 60s, omg if it could just be like this year around.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
22c is enough for me. I wonder where I can find 22c the whole year round? LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It has been a very humid day and now we have balmy evening sunshine. Done a lot. Cleared up a bit of a mess and made another mess.. Well, that's me! Replanted some hellebores and actually potted up quite a few. Also separated quite a few irises and chopped up some blocky astilbe Fanal! Now I have so many more plants.

Ask a Question