My "Off Season" Garden veggies

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm continuing to harvest new potatoes from this "off season" crop. So far, I've harvested about 75 pounds of new potatoes produced from the left-over tubers from the spring crop. Expecting to end up with about 100 pounds of new potatoes total. This will carry us over into the 2024 spring crop. Continuous supply of new potatoes.

Other veggies today include cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and Swiss Chard.

potatoes 2023.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The carrots and celery are ready now -prepared for the freezer.
Celery is one of those can't grow here veggies. This year, however, I'm trying to grow some from the base that you cut off to use the stalks. It has taken root well and is making new stalks of celery. May have found a way to grow it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it knows whose garden it's in It'll grow - it wouldn't dare not to.
The ground here is good, and has in the past (early 1900's) been used for crops, but for too many years now has been turf. Used as a sports field from about 1950 for the local schools, and since then a camping ground that I ran as a small business to keep my head above water.
I started adding trees and shrubs, and added some flower beds to pretty it all up.
Now, with help, much of it has been turfed, and the resulting ground used for even bigger flower/shrub/ornamental grasses displays.
Ziggy's vegetable area has been hard work to prepare. It seems to have every veggie enemy lurking round every corner. The slugs and other foes attack with a vengeance, and on top of that the weather has also given us problems. Very cold winds, ice and freezing temperatures - drought and then excessive rain when least expected !!! 🥴 and. of course, Ziggy has been building his cactus business at the same time, so an uphill climb.
It becomes even more important to grow our own food now though, if we can, as the world is in such a precarious state due to the evil going on from the ''few'' shall we say.
Younger people need to be encouraged to get to work and grow what they can as organically as possible. The trouble is, so many of them will not listen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is some lettuce im growing is the yellow around the leaves low nitrogen?

Just wondering what you all think

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is some lettuce im growing is the yellow around the leaves low nitrogen?
Yes, low nitrogen and possibly low magnesium as well. I keep liquid organic fertilizer, Epsom salts and seaweed for anything lacking in green coloring. Use a weak solution of seaweed on the leaves every week until the color changes. Use the weak solution of general liquid feed and Epsom salts on the soil around the drip line to begin with and repeat in two weeks if necessary.
If there's any leftover apply to all plants since they can all handle a weak solution every two weeks.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We just "enjoyed" a blast of artic air lingering several days below freezing and giving lows in the mid-teens deg F each night.

I thought it might be of interest to see what those sustained low temps did to the "off season" garden.

First, cabbage, kale, collards, turnips, and carrots, largely unaffected with beets and radishes tops frozen back.

veggies post freeze.JPG

Onions and garlic appear unaffected.

onns post freeze.JPG

Moral of the story: Don't let the threat of cold temps prevent trying an "off season" garden. The rewards are fantastic.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I covered tomatoes and potatoes during the Dec. freezes but harvested those before the Polar Vortex in Jan....everything else not covered.

@Tundra20 , you probably experienced temps lower than 15 deg right?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sometimes, when using Turnips in your cover crop, they can get very sneaky large...but still excellent tasting!

I don't understand why turnips seem to be undervalued and underappreciated?

turnips 2024 post freeze.JPG

Ask a Question