My "Off Season" Garden veggies

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The so-called offseason garden which is actually a winter garden is winding down.

Today I harvested the last of the turnips. The old stirrup hoe is excellent tool for this.
turnips offseason.JPG

Still have beets and carrots yet to harvest.

beets off season.JPG

The Kale has generously provided fresh greens and salads all winter but to be honest we are tired of it and at three feet it will make great green manure.

kale offseason.JPG

The last winter veggie to be harvested is usually Brussel sprouts here. They grow all winter and finally put on "cabbages" late spring. Well worth the wait!

brussels offseason.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You'll need an army to eat that lot. Great proof of your hard work and skill.
Brussel sprouts are a cold climate plant. They and parsnips taste terrible without frost on them - or so I thought and experienced here.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Brussel sprouts are a cold climate plant. They and parsnips taste terrible without frost on them - or so I thought and experienced here.
True. They also require a long time to mature the "cabbages"...all winter and into spring, here. That makes them vulnerable to the once or so annual "polar vortex" we get that rips through and plunges temps. This year it hit 15 deg F low but that did not harm the Brussels this year.

They are so tasty from the garden and hence despite the very long growing season, I grow them every winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just pulled our turnips up this week here they started bolting had some warm days here in arknsaw

Still have some in the covered part of greenhouse wer its little more shaded
Beets are growing really well we been jucieing alot

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Nature forced the harvest of my 20 ft row of winter carrots today... before they all go to seed.

Despite eating carrot thinnings all winter and spring, there is still enough to provide a 1 lb bag of carrots to 75 families at the local food bank.

That one row produced well over 100 pounds of wonderful carrots over the season.

carrot harvest 2024.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
As promised, the Brussels Sprouts were harvested today...three gallons of "cabbages" from six plants or 1/2 gallon per plant. It isn't easy to grow these in my Texas climate, but well worth the effort.

"Off season" harvesting is complete, but the season is not finished until the spent soil is completely replenished and that starts today.

brusselssprouts2024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
As promised, the Brussels Sprouts were harvested today...three gallons of "cabbages" from six plants or 1/2 gallon per plant. It isn't easy to grow these in my Texas climate, but well worth the effort.

"Off season" harvesting is complete, but the season is not finished until the spent soil is completely replenished and that starts today.

View attachment 102680
when is your 1st freeze/last freeze dates?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Last freeze = March 15.

First freeze is highly variable with 10% probability by Oct. 27 increasing to 50% probability by Nov. 13. Seems like the weather doesn't understand probabilities as I seem to always get trapped by one early freeze.

The Brussels Sprouts tolerate freezes and low temps down to 15 deg. F with no problem and grow here all fall/winter until now. They are worth it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Last freeze = March 15.

First freeze is highly variable with 10% probability by Oct. 27 increasing to 50% probability by Nov. 13. Seems like the weather doesn't understand probabilities as I seem to always get trapped by one early freeze.

The Brussels Sprouts tolerate freezes and low temps down to 15 deg. F with no problem and grow here all fall/winter until now. They are worth it!
So different. MD zone 6b/7a usual 1st frost is around 10/10ish and last frost is 5/15ish.

I do have garlic over winter but that is it.

Can not really grow veggies over the winter. can grow covers though.

your 10/15 onions you literally start them on 10/15?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...your 10/15 onions you literally start them on 10/15?
Yes, literally! They are in the bulbing stage right now...several look like they may possibly push 6 inches diameter by harvest late May. I love onions, especially big ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Yes, literally! They are in the bulbing stage right now...several look like they may possibly push 6 inches diameter by harvest late May. I love onions, especially big ones.
I think I need to move.

Might move to Florida in a few years.

They are harveting broc/cauliflower onions now. have been getting lettuce for 3 months. Brussells this month

Ask a Question